No announcement yet.

Easily Test Driving Gallium3D In Ubuntu 10.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this Gallium3D better than the official nVidia driver in watching HD h.264 movies (720p , 1080i) ? because when I watch movies on my nVdia 6200 LE its kind of eats all of my CPU usage !!

Comment

I don't think it implements accelerated video decoding. But I can watch 720p video on my single core Athlon 64 4000+, so most probably the driver does implement Xv.

Comment

Only Dx10 class gpus can do full H.264 hardware decoding if im not mistaken.
        With cpu decoding i can play 1080p in Windows 7, but with Ubuntu 10.04 i only get stutter with the same clip.

Comment

Originally posted by Deagleson View Post
          With cpu decoding i can play 1080p in Windows 7, but with Ubuntu 10.04 i only get stutter with the same clip.
          Try using a multithreaded decoder, like mplayer-mt. Or buy the CoreAVC codec. Both will perform much better than the default that comes with most distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Deagleson View Post
            It depends on how the acceleration is implemented. For example, any card can decode H.264 if it has dedicated H.264 decoding hardware. Alternatively, the H.264 decoding can be implemented by using the GPU as a general-purpose massively-multithreaded vector processor. That can be done on any NVIDIA GPU starting with the GeForce 8 series. I don't know what the cutoff is for ATI. The Intel X4500HD chipset has H.264 decoding support (and will get Linux support for it soon), and I think GMA 965 and later GPUs have some support for VC-1, too, but it's not full decoding support, and it's not available under Linux.

Comment

Well the definition of "soon" for h264 on G4x is Q3 from Intel devs. Still nothing about vc1. But to see the "real" state somebody with the hardware should test it with i3.

Comment

Well I doubt it will be ready for next *buntu release ... Last time I've tried it (2 weeks ago) it couldn't even do a compositing desktop for me.

It's the future but it's still not there yet ...

Comment

so even 10.10 will only support gallium 3d for up to x1000 series and "hopefully"?

I guess I will have to stick to nvidia for yet another 2 years then

Comment

Everything works OK for me, Inspiron 1501 w/ Radeon Xpress 1150.
                    I am having problems with my monitor going wonky, but it's not related to Gallium.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                      so even 10.10 will only support gallium 3d for up to x1000 series and "hopefully"?
                      No one is stopping you from helping us out. Patches welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X