Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Receives Some OpenGL 3 Love

Phoronix: Mesa Receives Some OpenGL 3 Love

OpenGL 3.0 was announced in the summer of 2007 and since then we have seen the subsequent releases of the 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 specifications. Just last week there was even the release of OpenGL 4.0. The proprietary Linux graphics drivers have picked up support for these latest industry standard specifications, but it hasn't been smooth sailing in the open-source world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good work guys, keep it up.

Comment

Wasn't OpenGL 3(at least part of it) supposed to be patent-encumbered?

Comment

I don't know if any of the patented bits are being implemented yet, but the plan is to try and work around it:

Comment

It is disgusting that we have to work around or license patents just to be compatible with our competitors. This is an excellent example of why the EU is right to continue to reject software patents.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Gallium doesn't have an OpenGL 2.1 state tracker. It has OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2 state trackers and a mesa state tracker but no real OpenGL state tracker so far

Do correct me if I'm wrong of course

Comment

Considering that Mesa implements OpenGL, and has a Gallium3D state tracker, how more real would you want it?

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                Considering that Mesa implements OpenGL, and has a Gallium3D state tracker, how more real would you want it?
                But that isn't a real OpenGL state tracker is it? You might as well just use a mesa driver wouldn't you? I might be misunderstanding entirely

Comment

Mesa IS OpenGL, for all intents and purposes (other than the legal ones).

Comment

Yep, Mesa using its Gallium3D paths *is* the OpenGL state tracker (with all the usual caveats that Mesa only implements an API similar to OpenGL). Mesa using the "classic" hardware drivers is "classic Mesa".

Gallium3D replaces the hardware driver layer, not all of Mesa.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X