No announcement yet.

There's A Direct3D 9.0 Gallium3D State Tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish all the best luck on this project, and other possible D3D10+ projects for Gallium, since IMO these APIs are much more elegant to program on, and since I want my projects to be as cross-platform as possible, this would be a really nice thing to have.

That said, I understand this is a personal project only, but I must confess I wish it grows into a successfull project.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
      Just wondering, Why in the world would you want to write a DX9 application for Linux? Why not use OpenGL, which is much, much, much more widely supported?
      DirectX is not comparable to OpenGL. You meant Direct3D and there are several good reasons why D3D would be nice to have in a cross-platform fashion (not going to happen, so just saying). In short, D3D has evolved faster and now provides a superior API to OpenGL.

@mdias: my feelings exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by zhasha View Post
        I don't mind it being spread around the internet, but I do very much mind it being blown completely out of proportion.
        That's like asking a person to never eat. Without rumors, speculation, exaggeration there is no internet.

Comment

Actually, not that anybody cares, but I discussed this with a few Wine devs a while ago. The main concensus was that Wine needs to continue to support binary GLX stacks, so they can't discard their GL backend, and putting effort into Gallium would divide their time.

Also, like myself, zhasha isn't paid for fd.o work. Cut him some slack. He's allowed to do what he wants. When I get bored, I come on here and flame you guys; when he gets bored, apparently he writes Dx state trackers. It's all good.

Comment

My hope is that this ends up allowing VirtualBox guests to support Aero Glass for the Windows 6 releases. If running on a Windows host, it would call into native Direct3D 9, or if running on Linux, it would call into a Direct3D 9 state tracker. The Sun devs are already working on a WDDM driver for the VirtualBox "graphics adapter."

Comment

Originally posted by zhasha View Post
              this is not a project meant to deliver significant results but merely a hello world state tracker in the only API I saw fit to try my mind on. I chose D3D9 because it's well documented on the MSDN and is tied to a class inheritance OOP model, making it easier (for me at least) to implement.
              Apologies.
              The article seems to have blown the project out of proportion, at least in the way it read to me. I was under the impression that there was another major move to adapt-to-MS. Now it just looks like you're playing with it for fun and probably a good way to "get into" g3d development.

Maybe the phoronix guys should try to categorize their so-called "news" in terms of relevance.

Comment

That was a close call; this almost turned into a repeat of "Wayland: A New X Server For Linux".

Comment

Does it actually mean that Direct3D calls can be run untranslated on GPUs in Linux?

How can it be possible at all?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Does it actually mean that Direct3D calls can be run untranslated on GPUs in Linux?

How can it be possible at all?
                    The same way it's possible on Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                      Just wondering, Why in the world would you want to write a DX9 application for Linux? Why not use OpenGL, which is much, much, much more widely supported?
                      For two reasons

* All good demos (scene.org) are made for DX, and some even release the source code, so porting those to Linux would be much easier, if the DX would just could be untouched.

* If someone want to learn DX, but don't want to use Windows =)

Comment

Working...
                      X