Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the news I like to hear! Someone is smart in the dev team,,,,

Comment

What nobody has mentioned this might help out reactos with native opensource drivers? I think they have some binary driver compatibility but it might not ever be stable...

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        Wow, these guys are really having so hard of a time coming up with useful things to work on that they have to implement windoze uselessness?
        If they get working that faster to a good state then wine it would be a good thing. "These guys" are not one coordinated group I think, they are solo developers, there is maybe a core team, but this guy seems not to be part of that. So he needs this maybe for a project or he works for a company who wants to make money with getting games better working under linux. So I think this guy does not work for AMD or get payed from one of us, so what right do you/we have to say him what he has to do, he does not hinder any other work so let him do this stuff, even if you don?t need it.

Comment

Can't I have a little fun while learning the G3D interface without it ending up on the Phoronix articles page?

I'm not trying to replace anything in WINE, I just want to augment it. Their implementation could very well just check whether another solution is available and use that on the rare occasion that it is.
          Now let's get something out of the way: this is not a project meant to deliver significant results but merely a hello world state tracker in the only API I saw fit to try my mind on. I chose D3D9 because it's well documented on the MSDN and is tied to a class inheritance OOP model, making it easier (for me at least) to implement.

So what can it do for you now? Nothing is what. All it can do is render colored triangles.

Let the shitstorm begin.

EDIT: I should probably mention that zhasha == jsindholt
          Last edited by zhasha; 22 January 2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            I believe the WINE devs don't give two shits about it
            Maybe they would give two shits about it if developer of this tracker would show something useful and reliable.

Comment

I feel a little sorry for zhasha (the author). He spends a few days messing with a little D3D9 state tracker for his own personal learning, then happens to mention it in a forum and suddenly it's a news post and he's being insulted for various reasons. Leave him alone, if he wants to spend some time with a pet project then that's his choice.

That said, we don't know the state of Linux graphics in 2-3 years time. If at that point the open source drivers are to comparable to the proprietary offerings then the Wine devs may just switch to using a G3D D3D state tracker as the primary D3D path. If no one writes a D3D state tracker we'll never know.

For now, this changes nothing for anyone because it's just a personal project.

Comment

Originally posted by zhasha View Post
                Can't I have a little fun while learning the G3D interface without it ending up on the Phoronix articles page?
                Michael's got himself subscribed to so many RSS feeds that he probably gets notification every time Linus sneezes, so it's not necessarily surprising that he'd catch wind of something like this.

That being said, I think it's a great idea. Even if you don't complete significant portions of the D3D 9.0 implementation, hopefully someone does in the future, because I think it would be very useful to have. I wouldn't be surprised if VMWare was working on something like this at the moment.

Currently, to the best of my memory, VirtualBox is linking against Wine in order to get D3D working in Windows guests running on Linux hosts. The existence of a D3D state tracker for gallium could lead to some nice performance boosts (and possibly compatibility boosts as well) for people who want to run Windows games in a VM on Linux. I like Wine, but they've always had compatibility issues with newer games, and this could help resolve a lot of those issues.

I wish you luck on this. At a minimum, it will help you learn the Gallium3D interface, which is something I've been wanting to do for a while now. If a D3D state tracker ends up in Mesa because of this, great, but I won't grab a torch/pitchfork if it doesn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                  Maybe they would give two shits about it if developer of this tracker would show something useful and reliable.
                  Not a chance. Wine has spent years on getting Direct3D to a feature-for-feature and bug-for-bug compatibility with Windows. Throwing that all away and starting over will take the same amount of years to get back to the current state.

Now, I can see the usefulness of this state tracker as just another graphics API a Unix developer can make use of. I don't know, maybe it could be nice for porting Windows applications. At the very least it shows the expressive power of Gallium3D.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    Michael's got himself subscribed to so many RSS feeds that he probably gets notification every time Linus sneezes, so it's not necessarily surprising that he'd catch wind of something like this.
                    Well in all fairness, if people don't want stuff like this to be repeated and spread around then don't use the net, keep it local and keep the mouth shut.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Well in all fairness, if people don't want stuff like this to be repeated and spread around then don't use the net, keep it local and keep the mouth shut.
                      I don't mind it being spread around the internet, but I do very much mind it being blown completely out of proportion.

Comment

Working...
                      X