Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Releases Its New Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: VMware Releases Its New Gallium3D Driver

Last Friday during the Gallium3D workshop we learned that the Tungsten Graphics developers that were bought out by VMware have been working on a virtual Gallium3D driver that would be used by guest operating systems running within VMware's virtualization platform. This is especially interesting considering that it will allow virtualized guests to have accelerated access to X11, OpenGL, OpenCL, X-Video, XvMC, and all sorts of other possibilities that's just limited by what's supported by the available state trackers. This afternoon Jakob Bornecrantz has pushed out this initial Gallium3D driver for use in VMware guests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not too up on Gallium 3d, but would it be possible to write a Windows driver with DirectX that does the same thing?

When you need to run Linux on the host and guest systems, having accelerated 3d/video in the guest isn't nearly as useful I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by russell_h View Post
      I'm not too up on Gallium 3d, but would it be possible to write a Windows driver with DirectX that does the same thing?

When you need to run Linux on the host and guest systems, having accelerated 3d/video in the guest isn't nearly as useful I would think.
      There is potential. However, if somebody contributes a DirectX state tracker, then all these drivers would become quite usable on Windows too. As it is, it might be useful for ReactOS... Who knows?

Comment

"First two?" I'm hurt. dri and mesa are directly derived from the classic DRI stack. egl's pretty reliable too, and I secretly believe egl and wgl have been deployed in production systems already.

Comment

Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
          "First two?" I'm hurt. dri and mesa are directly derived from the classic DRI stack. egl's pretty reliable too, and I secretly believe egl and wgl have been deployed in production systems already.
          Is wgl the WinGL state tracker?

EGL, meh. Probably with Maemo 6. Mesa, obviously. DRI? Are we talking about DRI1 or DRI2?

Comment

What does vmware SVGA stand for?

Scalable Virtual Graphics Architecture?

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
              Is wgl the WinGL state tracker?
              From http://www.x.org/wiki/GalliumStatus
              wgl: Windowing system trackers similar to dri for MS Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                What does vmware SVGA stand for?

Scalable Virtual Graphics Architecture?
                Stupid Virtual Graphics Addtion for some proprietary piece of junk

Comment

I just love freetards.

Comment

How about KVM?

Can anybody shed any light on how far this driver is from being used with KVM?

Comment

Working...
                    X