X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel sick...

Comment

Thank you for existing USA. <3
      Edit: Naw, it's a fine country, just a bit messed up legislation.

Comment

Disgusting, stupid, idiot, unexchusable, officious software patents. And when I think that there are people who support this kind of establishment , makes me sick.

Comment

I am not a lawyer.

We will be adding compile-time flags to Mesa for several features over the next few weeks. It will be up to distros and individual users to decide which features they would like to build into their Mesas. Some features will be enabled by default, some will not.

We are not helpless; we do have a plan.

Comment

im going to be the oddball out.

Isnt OGG patented?

And im glad you guys have a plan

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              Isnt OGG patented?
              The difference between there being a patent and there being a patent that you have to pay royalties to use it is about the same as between being threatened with a sword and having one junked into your gut.

Comment

Isnt OGG patented?

Ogg is not patented.

Vorbis is not patented; some companies have claimed to hold patents against it, but Xiph is confident that it is legally okay to develop and distribute Vorbis.

Theora is patented, but the patents are all well-known and have been released under a very liberal license, effectively making Theora as free as, if not freer than, Vorbis.

S3TC is patented.

Comment

Isnt OGG patented?

As you can see in their main page http://www.vorbis.com/
                  Ogg Vorbis is a completely open, patent-free, professional audio encoding and streaming technology with all the benefits of Open Source.
                  Also, from wikipedia:
                  Patent retaliation

"Patent retaliation" clauses are included in several free software licences. The goal of these clauses is to create a penalty so as to discourage the licensee (the user/recipient of the software) from suing the licensor (the provider/author of the software) for patent infringement by terminating the licence upon the initiation of such a lawsuit.

The Free Software Foundation included a narrow patent retaliation clause in drafts 1 and 2 of version 3 of the GPL, however, this clause was removed in draft 3 as its enforceability and effectiveness was decided to be too dubious to be worth the added complexity.[14]

Examples of broader clauses are those of the Apache License and the Mozilla Public License.

Comment

god d*mn all patents, really.

Comment

My opinion has always been "screw 'em, they can't sue us all".

Whose fault are these patents, and do they have any products we can boycott?

Comment

Working...
                      X