Mesa Developers Aren't Convinced Over Dropping Old OpenGL Drivers Right Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Developers Aren't Convinced Over Dropping Old OpenGL Drivers Right Now

Phoronix: Mesa Developers Aren't Convinced Over Dropping Old OpenGL Drivers Right Now

Earlier this week was a proposal for creating a new Mesa legacy driver branch for clearing out older OpenGL drivers like the ATI R300, AMD R600, Lima, Nouveau NV30, and other older GPU drivers. However, other upstream Mesa developers aren't convinced by the proposal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To me the answer is simple:
    If keeping these old drivers hinder progress for newer devices, or, if they regularly get regressions from newer updates, then fork them. Otherwise don't.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      To me the answer is simple:
      If keeping these old drivers hinder progress for newer devices, or, if they get regressions from newer updates, then fork them. Otherwise don't.
      Simple answers remains simple, thus they cannot be applied as-is to complex projects.
      The problem arised, I guess, because of maintainability reasons when framework changes happen.

Some drivers, like Lima, would be even put in the legacy branch while new hardware with Mali-400/450 is still being pushed out (see Rockchip rk3528). I guess the current choice is the safest and savviest.

Comment

You spend 10-15 years of your life working on a driver and as soon as your life's work finally culminates in a feature complete product, right then that's when someone proposes to drop it... Damn....
        Last edited by duby229; 21 June 2024, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          You spend 10-15 years of your life working on a driver and as soon as your life's work finally culminates in a feature complete product, right then that's when someone proposes to to drop it... Damn....
          Software industry is too young to be sentimental. Things change all the time drastically. If the work you have done has served the purpose, time to let it go and move on.

Comment

I'm more curious why e.g. Fedora has a single mesa-dri-drivers-24.1.2-2.fc40.x86_64.rpm package which contains drivers for all supported hardware.

Why can't I just install something for my particular GPU? That makes very little sense to me.

Comment

You spend 10-15 years of your life working on a driver and as soon as your life's work finally culminates in a feature complete product, right then that's when someone proposes to to drop it... Damn....
              Nobody proposed dropping anything. The proposal was simply to fork these old drivers into a different branch so that they could continue to function without affecting progress on drivers staying in the original fork.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                I'm more curious why e.g. Fedora has a single mesa-dri-drivers-24.1.2-2.fc40.x86_64.rpm package which contains drivers for all supported hardware.

Why can't I just install something for my particular GPU? That makes very little sense to me.
                Just use arm embedded shit, all firmware and drivers only support your hardware.

Comment

We know Skylake and Polaris support Vulkan fully in Linux... but I wonder if they are truly speed efficient and power efficient if one run OpenGL programs through Zink on them.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

You can... This is Linux of course you can.... You just have to build your own kernel, xorg and mesa and all of their associated dependencies from source.... It's relatively easy on Gentoo....

You just have choose the right distro for your needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X