Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposal For Creating A New Mesa Legacy Driver Branch: R300, R600, Lima, NV30 & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal For Creating A New Mesa Legacy Driver Branch: R300, R600, Lima, NV30 & More

Phoronix: Proposal For Creating A New Mesa Legacy Driver Branch: R300, R600, Lima, NV30 & More

Mike Blumenkrantz of Valve's open-source Linux GPU driver team and known for his work on the Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan driver has issued a proposal for creating a new legacy branch for older/less-maintained Gallium3D drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

virgl seems a bit weird to me, I thought spinng out of mainline was for legacy stuff, virgl is still pretty much the standard driver for VMs, Venus afaik still has yet to land in qemu, and gfxstream is kinda... it is what it is

Comment

I disagree with Virgl branching unless a better solution is merged. It really needs something better and API independent, some kind of virtual GPU but quite hardware accelerated and very efficient with low overhead.

Comment

100% percent agree about forking these off into their own branch. Every tree needs pruning now and then.

Comment

This is probably for the best. On 86_64 when it comes to modern 3d there are only 3 hardware options so it makes sense to put them, other drives on par with them, and software drivers separate from older drivers that will never be capable of doing what they do.

This is a triggering article so.....

Woah.
          Amber is the driver of the Legacy.
          Woah.
          Shades of gold displayed naturally.

Guess what day it is?

I alternate between that scene and the little girl from Monsters, Inc saying Mike Wazowski when Mike's brought up.

Comment

I have better idea: Why Windows requires hardware which is capable of hardware accelerated Windows Vista(but slow as hell for games), but DirectX 11 is maybe desired for shop exercise? Isn't time to propose Microsoft a deal to make possible running Windows 11 on some vintage PC (with HDD :-) with some Mesa3D tests passed? Of course problems arises but brutal requirements of each new KBxxxxxx forcing to evaporate a lot of investments seems a deal for Microsoft, but not for such users when they may have PC capable, but not in Microsoft way.

Vulkan needs may be huge, but also a gadget market is also so when on such PCs for developers easy development is Vulkan needed(or DirectX 12 :-), vendors come in and even on such PCs/Laptops magic could happen or deal be made NOTICE: Mac is not PC

And then maybe tough Microsoft corporate hearts may be more accessible to its users of W10 end is coming to propose them a recipe for W11 enable maybe on some Mesa3D corporate snap stack or something

And when such nerds find their info of W11 be able to run without graphics in some server W11 products, shift for new customers may be part of this question in need...

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
              I have better idea: Why Windows requires hardware which is capable of hardware accelerated Windows Vista(but slow as hell for games), but DirectX 11 is maybe desired for shop exercise? Isn't time to propose Microsoft a deal to make possible running Windows 11 on some vintage PC (with HDD :-) with some Mesa3D tests passed? Of course problems arises but brutal requirements of each new KBxxxxxx forcing to evaporate a lot of investments seems a deal for Microsoft, but not for such users when they may have PC capable, but not in Microsoft way. Vulkan needs may be huge, but also a gadget market is also so when on such PCs for developers easy development is Vulkan needed(or DirectX 12 :-), vendors come in and even on such PCs/Laptops magic could happen or deal be made ​ NOTICE: Mac is not PC ​ And then maybe tough Microsoft corporate hearts may be more accessible to its users of W10 end is coming to propose them a recipe for W11 enable maybe on some Mesa3D corporate snap stack or something ​ And when such nerds find their info of W11 be able to run without graphics in some server W11 products, shift for new customers may be part of this question in need...
              It's Microsoft responsability, not everyone else. This isn't Microsofonix, but Phoronix.

Comment

That branch could also allow the work of Triang3l with Terakan easier to merge ?
                In any case it would be a huge move for saving the planet ! Imagine the tens of thousands of computers NOT going to garbage thanks to this !

Comment

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
                  That branch could also allow the work of Triang3l with Terakan easier to merge ?
                  Definitely it will make everything much harder for me because I'll have to continuously be applying shader compiler changes from the amber branch on top of my fork of the main branch (that I'll need to keep using as the base to continue receiving common code changes as I'm planning to support modern extensions, as well as to get WSI improvements), and I can't even imagine what merge request submission process is going to look like.

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
                  In any case it would be a huge move for saving the planet ! Imagine the tens of thousands of computers NOT going to garbage thanks to this !

That suggestion has nothing to do with that — on the contrary, tens of thousands of computers will be receiving only some fraction of new common Gallium code updates, as they will be using code from a low-priority legacy branch rather than the actively developed one.
                  Last edited by Triang3l; 19 June 2024, 02:23 PM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Lima being on this list. I get that it's for an old shitty series of GPUs, but Mali 400 in particular is used in hardware not just used but also sold brand new today.

Comment

Working...
                    X