Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Begins Upstreaming Fuchsia OS Support Into Mesa 3D

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Google Begins Upstreaming Fuchsia OS Support Into Mesa 3D

    Phoronix: Google Begins Upstreaming Fuchsia OS Support Into Mesa 3D

    With not hearing much about Fuchsia OS in a while and the Fuchsia OS team being hit hard by layoffs last year, coming as a surprise today is seeing Google beginning to upstream Fuchsia OS support into the Mesa 3D graphics driver stack...

    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

  • #2
    While this could open up the door to the open-source OpenGL and Vulkan drivers being used on Fuchsia OS, that would be contingent still on having the necessary kernel driver support too and the compatible winsys and other related code still needed.
    Uh, if Fuchsia is its own OS, then maybe it already has kernel graphics drivers? Also, do we know they're using an existing windowing system, or is that also proprietary?

    Comment


    • #3
      Do we really need all that code bloat in mesa for a photo frame os?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by coder View Post
        Uh, if Fuchsia is its own OS, then maybe it already has kernel graphics drivers? Also, do we know they're using an existing windowing system, or is that also proprietary?
        Fuchsia supposed to have drivers in user space. Both the kernel and the user space are open source.

        Comment


        • #5
          Once again, both users are reportedly ecstatic.

          Comment


          • #6
            This just means that Google will soon take this zombie OS out back and you’ll hear a single gunshot. Yet another program that Google will cull in a year or so. If it won’t help them sell ads it will get the “Ol’ Yella’’“ treatment.

            Comment


            • #7
              I feel like the Mesa project shouldn't accept code to support an OS that is not shipping, or planned to ship, on any actual PC hardware. At that point, it becomes needless bloat that the devs have to maintain for Google, with 0 actual purpose of existing there. With the way FOSS works, that code will be there for 20 years and never removed "just in case" even after the Fuchsia project dies completely.

              Unless Google can demonstrate that this code is going to ship on a usable product that isn't a Google Home soon, or can demonstrate that these patch sets make Mesa better in a generic way, they should be outright rejected and Google should be forced to maintain their patches themselves.

              Comment


              • #8
                Why a single company develops three separate operating systems (ChromeOS, Android, Fuschia) is beyond my comprehension.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Why a single company develops three separate operating systems (ChromeOS, Android, Fuschia) is beyond my comprehension.
                  I'm not sure whether they started Fuchsia before ChromeOS, but then it clearly wasn't ready by the time they decided they needed ChromeOS.

                  Maybe they were planning on replacing both of the other two with Fuchsia? Can you comprehend that?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by coder View Post
                    I'm not sure whether they started Fuchsia before ChromeOS, but then it clearly wasn't ready by the time they decided they needed ChromeOS.

                    Maybe they were planning on replacing both of the other two with Fuchsia? Can you comprehend that?
                    Google is becoming Microsoft, Microsoft tries to look cool and friendly...

                    Google hates Android, but they cannot replace it. ChromeOS is used as a cheap laptop for webapps and such, few hack it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X