The Status Of Gallium3D Drivers, State Trackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post
    Though even Intel with Larrabee admit that they need dedicated texture filtering in hardware, and a big part of the performance in AMD and NVidia GPUs comes from dedicated Z buffer optimizations.
    Wouldn't that pedantically be neither a CPU nor a GPU anymore but something altogether different? But yeah, probably would have to be a separate hardware driver to utilize those functionalities that go over what a CPU has.

Comment

Originally posted by fiete View Post
      According to him graphics will soon be rendered 100% in software again on normal general purpose CPUs.
      I guess the upcoming Larrabee GPU follows this direction he describes.
      But how does Gallium3D fit into the picture? Does Gallium3D have a place in pure software rendering?
      IMO, I think GPU's will be merged with the CPU, making a new type of CPU that can handle huge amounts of streams simultaneously like the GPU's today. (Basically moving the GPU to the CPU die)

Comment

What would be awesome is if the likes of NVidia and ATI would license the arm core and build a CPU with an integrated graphics pipeline and DDR3 memory controller.

Comment

Tegra?

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
          What would be awesome is if the likes of NVidia and ATI would license the arm core and build a CPU with an integrated graphics pipeline and DDR3 memory controller.
          You mean like NVIDIA's Tegra platform?...

Comment

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
            You mean like NVIDIA's Tegra platform?...
            /me goes to investigate!

EDIT: Wow, yes.. that is exactly what I meant. Cool! Next, we need unix graphics workstations based on that. :P
            Last edited by philcostin; 13 September 2009, 06:02 AM.

Comment

ARM workstations? They just don't have the oomph. AMD's Fusion and Intel's Arrendale would be better there, with AMD parts being better for graphic-intensive use as always.

Comment

Back on topic...

There is still no hardware-accelerated Gallium3D. How long do you think it will take to make Gallium3D usable as a driver infrastructure? 3 years, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Eosie View Post
                  Back on topic...

There is still no hardware-accelerated Gallium3D. How long do you think it will take to make Gallium3D usable as a driver infrastructure? 3 years, I guess?
                  partial implementations for Intel's 915/965 IGP, ATI R300 and the Nouveau project for Nvidia cards. I think the Intel one is usable, but not for mainstream, the others are in an early development stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Eosie View Post
                    On ATi card side they probably want the existing driver infra (classic Mesa with radeon-rewrite, KMS+ttm) to be stable before focus moves on Gallium3D. They just stop extending it beyond a certain point. (which has not yet been definitely decided) It's easier to test the KMS+ttm against a Mesa implementation whose core doesn't change every time you look the other direction, ya know? After that part is done, we should look forward to getting Gallium3D drivers at a nice pace...

Comment

Now it makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Working...
                      X