No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.6 + OpenGL ES 3.2 Achieved On Apple M1 With Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the driver that was written in Rust from the start, right?

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

Think 4-5 years ahead and OSX stops supporting the devices but they will still be usefully and securely running Linux.
      I think you have the wrong OS in mind, Apple haters may not like this but Macos/IOs has historically been extremely good when it comes to supporting older hardware. iOS was in fact famous for supporting iPhones for 5+ years when at the time most Android phones (aside from Google's own phone) only did 2.

I would not be surprised if M1 laptops were supported for at least a decade.
      Last edited by mdedetrich; 15 February 2024, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post
        No. It's the kernel driver that's written in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          I really don't get why they don't just do a Vulkan future-proof driver, and rely on Zink for OpenGL.
          Aside from Mesa providing a lot of helpers for OpenGL (gallium), when you do a GL driver you can start with GL 1.0 and get the very basics going then work your way up incrementally to 4.6 as you figure out how more features work or can be emulated. With Vulkan you have a big chunk that has to be done up front just to make it to 1.0 and to get Zink working you need 1.3 plus some complex extensions.

Comment

Is there the possibility of porting this to macOS AGX driver's ioctl interface?

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I think you have the wrong OS in mind, Apple haters may not like this but Macos/IOs has historically been extremely good when it comes to supporting older hardware. iOS was in fact famous for supporting iPhones for 5+ years when at the time most Android phones (aside from Google's own phone) only did 2.

You're an Apple fanboy, or why the strong language?

Nothing beats GNU/Linux in this game - my Sailfish phone is regularly a 3-year-old model, and Jolla currently supports up to 7-year-old hardware. https://docs.sailfishos.org/Support/Supported_Devices/
              Some of my desktops and notebooks are over the 10-year mark and still run well (after increasing RAM) with current Linux versions.

I had in mind it's about 5 years for the newest macOS, and it looks like my memory didn't trick me. https://support.apple.com/en-us/105113
              But you can speculate that you will get two additional years of spotty support after the next version does not install on your Mac. https://endoflife.date/macos

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I agree that Apple's iOS has on of the longest supports in the market, but it's my understanding that MacOS support is getting shorter and shorter, behind Windows and specially Linux

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post
                  No, the only driver written in rust is the Asahi DRM driver, and is in kernel side (KMD - Kernel Mode Driver) , AGX compiler and Asahi AGX Driver is written in C and uses OpenCL C Kernels for some NIR lowering pass.
                  But i think AGXV for Vulkan will be ported to rust(YES, AGXV is already in initial steps: Is in Asahi Project on Freedesktop Gitlab), it's in C, but in Ella Stanford Gitlab have a branch with Skeleton Rust version. Will be necessary to Mesa's Vulkan Runtime bindings and Shiva(Rust Traits) be merged first for Vulkan drivers uses it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rccero View Post

I agree that Apple's iOS has on of the longest supports in the market, but it's my understanding that MacOS support is getting shorter and shorter, behind Windows and specially Linux

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...its-a-problem/
                    You didn't read the article you quoted. It states that Mac support is fairly consistent unless there is a massive architectural change which is the only time you get these dips, i.e. in the PowerPC to x86 era and now we have x86 to ARM.

Thats why I said that the Macbook M1 specifically will be supported for a while. The x86 is a different story, but its also expected and they communicated this.
                    Last edited by mdedetrich; 16 February 2024, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rccero View Post

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...its-a-problem/
                      The same like for Windows 11+, you can hack the macOS installer and install it on older Macs. It's just they are not officially supported (e.g. some AI acceleration won't work there, and those 10 years ago have no Metal driver).

Comment

Working...
                      X