No announcement yet.

Microsoft Looking To Add Windows Media Foundation Transforms "MFTs" To Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hoping this meant that some proton games where the videos don't play would be fixed, i guess this is not related

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

Embrace: Microsoft ❤️ Linux
      Extend: Microsoft Looking To Add Windows Media Foundation Transforms "MFTs" To Mesa
      And there are betrayers in Linux camp that allow microsoft trojan horses to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        .. is there an alternative to this technology already in GNU/Linux?.
        Media Foundation transforms (MFTs) provide a generic model for processing media data. MFTs are used for decoders, encoders, and digital signal processors (DSPs). In short, anything that sits in the media pipeline between the media source and the media sink is an MFT.
        Source: Ms docu: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...und/about-mfts

Sounds like it is a bit in the playground of Gstreamer and/or pipewire, maybe also VA-API. A coherent API for applying passes to videostreams, with the option of hardware acceleration. (decode, rotate, brighten, de-interlace, colour correction, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
          Everyone is looking for the devil under the rock whenever Microsoft does something like this
          After being beaten multiple times people start to doge when seeing a fist, it's called instinct.

Maybe they are very well prepping to replace NT with Linux in the long run? That would be really unique!
          Highly unlikely, they would loose most of what makes Windows unique. No more rebooting and waiting for Updates, a root user that has all rights to do stuff, it might even become fast.
          And who would use a distro that only differentiates itself from others by heavily spying on you and having a shitty UI.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            After being beaten multiple times people start to doge when seeing a fist, it's called instinct.

Highly unlikely, they would loose most of what makes Windows unique. No more rebooting and waiting for Updates, a root user that has all rights to do stuff, it might even become fast.
            And who would use a distro that only differentiates itself from others by heavily spying on you and having a shitty UI.
            The only thing that matter is compatibility with hardware and software. Give me a Linux kernel with LVM, XFS or ZFS... then give me the full windows API on top so I can run MS office, SolidWorks and Revit along with all the VR setups for these. That would be a meta dream!

Outside of that... the telemetry is very aggressive, but what blows me away is the amount of spamming built into the OS, that sucks the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Are you sure this is not backwards? The better Microsoft makes Linux tools run on Windows, the less reasons people will have to run Linux proper.
              Nobody with half a brain likes how microsoft spies 24/7 on every single user, so all they'll be left with on windows is the elderly, the unintelligent, and corporations run by the unintelligent. so from 90% of pcs to like 80%. But over the decades they'd continue to drop. The largest barrier of entry to linux is that almost nobody knows how to use it, if you can use WSL like training wheels to learn it, More people learning it will start to realize "why am I even keeping windows aruond then?" and just make the full switch.

I've managed to get a friend and my brother to switch to linux pretty recently, the friend wanted to get away from Micro$oft for the exact reasons I described above, my brother wanted that too but the tipping point for him was better performance in blender. They've both stuck with it for months now, and interestingly are both on arch variants. One of them is on endeavour the other is on manjaro. For certain former windows users (particularly gamers and 3d modelers who like having their drivers/games/software up to date, rolling release just makes more sense, they're ok with waiting a week or two for releases compared to say windows, but not months, no way.)

Just last year they were about as happy windows users as happy windows users get, to the point where they poked and ribbed at me for using linux everytime I had any sort of issue. I feel like this is a pretty strong indication that people do want to get away from windows, they do not like microsoft, these 2 guys just had the advantage of being close to me who has used linux extensively for well over a decade to show them the ropes, with some occasional encouragement to try changing to linux on top, that was all it took.

The friend is 100% linux, no dual boot, my brother is dual boot, uses windows for VR games because the steamvr experience on linux is more or less broken. Althuogh with steamvr 2.0 maybe it's better now? I'm not sure.
              Last edited by rabcor; 23 November 2023, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Are you sure this is not backwards? The better Microsoft makes Linux tools run on Windows, the less reasons people will have to run Linux proper.
                ... have you used windows 11?

Comment

Microsoft hasn't pulled an EEE in 2 decades and old Linux users are still scared of them. The logic behind this is extremely simple: some enterprise users wanted this feature, so Microsoft is implementing it. That's literally it. Microsoft has switched to being a SaaS company long before they even released Windows 10. They mainly see Windows as a platform to push their other products at this point. They couldn't care less about people using Linux as long as people pay them to host said Linux servers. Why do you think they're going out of their way to make a ton of cross-platform applications, including making .NET cross-platform now?

Comment

Originally posted by Juke1349 View Post
                    Sounds like it is a bit in the playground of Gstreamer and/or pipewire, maybe also VA-API. A coherent API for applying passes to videostreams, with the option of hardware acceleration. (decode, rotate, brighten, de-interlace, colour correction, etc)
                    It's equivalent would be gstreamer. A generic API that abstracts away things like VA-API and then passes results down to the lower level APIs like PipeWIre.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Of course not, DX12 is a windows thing.
                      They implemented DX12 as a state tracker for Gallium. State trackers are platform agnostic afaik, so this DX12 state tracker should work perfectly fine on Linux. Not that Wine will take advantage of it, just like they didn't take advantage of gallium-nine state tracker because only Linux uses Gallium and Wine hates Linux-only code. And nobody is writing native DX12 code on Linux because there hasn't been support for it before so... it just ends up being a moot point. But it should work fine on both AMD and Intel drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X