Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asahi Linux Continues Making Progress On Apple Silicon Graphics, Promising OpenGL Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asahi Linux Continues Making Progress On Apple Silicon Graphics, Promising OpenGL Speed

Phoronix: Asahi Linux Continues Making Progress On Apple Silicon Graphics, Promising OpenGL Speed

Asahi Linux developer Asahi Lina has posted an update on the ongoing work bringing up their Rust-written DRM kernel driver along with the AGX Gallium3D Mesa OpenGL driver as well as progress towards the in-development Vulkan driver too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very impressive progress. In some ways, I'm surprised they managed to outperform MacOS, seeing as this is still an immature driver that likely lacks optimization. But, graphics hardware always seems to have operated slower in Mac OS, no matter what the GPU is. I'm not really sure why; perhaps it was designed more with smoothness in mind rather than raw performance. There's also the possibility that Apple deliberately didn't optimize their OpenGL drivers, simply to push people to use Metal.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      There's also the possibility that Apple deliberately didn't optimize their OpenGL drivers, simply to push people to use Metal.
      That's exactly what has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

Do you have proof or a citation for that claim?

Don't get me wrong: I'm no fan of Apple, but I'm even less of a fan of baseless claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Do you have proof or a citation for that claim?

Don't get me wrong: I'm no fan of Apple, but I'm even less of a fan of baseless claims.
          One thing we know for sure, OpenGL is officially deprecated in MacOS. So there is not a lot of incentive to optimize an API that will eventually be marked for removal.

I am not even sure if they provide “native” OpenGL drivers on the newer devices, or if they simply translate it to Metal calls, similar to how Zink works.

Comment

Originally posted by amxfonseca View Post

One thing we know for sure, OpenGL is officially deprecated in MacOS. So there is not a lot of incentive to optimize an API that will eventually be marked for removal.

I am not even sure if they provide “native” OpenGL drivers on the newer devices, or if they simply translate it to Metal calls, similar to how Zink works.
            There's a difference between not putting effort into making it fast, and deliberately making it slow.

Comment

OpenGL in macOS arm is a translation layer around Metal, like MoltenVK for Vulkan or DXVK for for Direct3D 9/10/11.
              It doesn't seem too optimized either. I guess the goal was to get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

What Lina also wrote but wasn't quoted: "* Please don’t take the exact number too seriously, as there are other differences too (Xonotic runs under Rosetta on macOS, but it was also rendering at a lower resolution there due to being a non-Retina app). The point is that the results are in the same league, and we will only keep improving our driver going forward!​"

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

There's a difference between not putting effort into making it fast, and deliberately making it slow.
                  It's the former. They only provide OpenGL 4.1 as the maximum supported version, and you can bet they haven't done any extensive optimizing since that time frame either. It's only provided for compatibility purposes these days, as they encourage everything to use Metal instead.

Comment

completely missed in the article: the M1 GPU driver is now revolutionary in *two* ways, no longer one

Previously it was merely one of the first drivers written in rust. Now it stands as one of only two drivers to be exclusively explicit-sync, while being the furthest ahead.

Every other driver in mesa, with the exclusion of intel xe, is forced to support implicit sync and all of the performance-killing bookkeeping that comes with that. Along the way they've encountered and solved significant issues the intel team weren't even aware of.

Comment

Working...
                    X