Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 23.1 Provides Improved EGL Implementation For Haiku

Phoronix: Mesa 23.1 Provides Improved EGL Implementation For Haiku

While the open-source Mesa 3D drivers are most well known for use on Linux, they are used by other platforms too like Haiku, the BSDs, and even Microsoft Windows with WSL and the like. For those making use of the Mesa 3D drivers on the BeOS-inspired Haiku operating system to enjoy OpenGL support, merged for Mesa 23.1 is an improved EGL implementation for that platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The warm winds blow while
    the cool rain falls. OH FUCK ME!
    That's a tornado!

Roses are red and
    Violets aren't blue. I think y'all
    might be colorblind.

PC Load Letter
    What the fuck does that mean? Still
    Back up in yo ass.

Haiku with Mesa
    Twenty-three point One will have
    better EGL

Comment

Haiku is clearly becoming the most viable non-Unix non-Windows operating system out there. Although looking at the screenshot it's a shame that there's only one native application (the music player), even the PDF reader is ported from KDE!

Comment

I think that Valve should use HaikuOS as the base of SteamOS instead of Linux.
        That way, they could have their very own OS, full control instead of being at the mercy of the myriad of "political" issues that sadly keep Linux stuck as a server OS.

And free to do with it as they please.

One thing I want them to keep doing though, keep the hardware requirement/supported on AMD, since we know that nvidia will pull one of their shits with it.
        Last edited by NeoMorpheus; 02 March 2023, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
          I think that Valve should use HaikuOS as the base of SteamOS instead of Linux.
          I’m very glad that you aren’t in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
            Haiku is clearly becoming the most viable non-Unix non-Windows operating system out there.
            I mean... that statement doesn't really mean much when if you narrow it down to that, and take the view of "Unix" to mean *nix all you're left with are a handful of research OSes and things like AROS. It also means that Haiku already has been for a long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post

I’m very glad that you aren’t in charge.
              Any useful counterpoint that you can provide?

i will add a couple: proper hdmi 2.1 support and HDR.

Comment

Any useful counterpoint that you can provide?

i will add a couple: proper hdmi 2.1 support and HDR.
                Haiku doesn't even have working 3d hardware acceleration. Mesa only provides LLVMPipe on the cpu for now. Not good for a platform meant for gaming.

And while sure, Valve could spend a ton of time and effort getting everything to work there, why bother? It's way easier to just make the changes they need in Linux.

You seem to think people are blocking them, but they maintain their own distro already. They can do whatever they want to do there, it's all open source. Just like they forked WINE/DXVK for their needs. If they haven't, it's because they don't want to spend the extra time and effort to do so outside of upstream, but that's an order of magnitude less work than bringing Haiku support up to speed would be.

And lets not pretend there are no politics on the Haiku side either. There at least used to be a lot of effort expended in the project in order to maintain backwards compatibility with old Haiku executable files from the 90's, which enforced a ton of restrictions on what could or couldn't be changed.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 03 March 2023, 01:55 AM.

Comment

hdmi 2.1 support
                  What about that is a political issue. The HDMI 2.1 spec does not allow a implementation that could be used to understand the spec without paying the fees. This effects every OS that releases as source. Also Haiku.

HDR.
                  And? What about that is a political issue. Its a multi year effort that requires work on drivers, the DRM subsystem, Wayland, Desktops, Toolkits and layers like SDL.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Haiku doesn't even have working 3d hardware acceleration. Mesa only provides LLVMPipe on the cpu for now. Not good for a platform meant for gaming.

And while sure, Valve could spend a ton of time and effort getting everything to work there, why bother? It's way easier to just make the changes they need in Linux.

You seem to think people are blocking them, but they maintain their own distro already. They can do whatever they want to do there, it's all open source. Just like they forked WINE/DXVK for their needs. If they haven't, it's because they don't want to spend the extra time and effort to do so outside of upstream, but that's an order of magnitude less work than bringing Haiku support up to speed would be.

And lets not pretend there are no politics on the Haiku side either. There at least used to be a lot of effort expended in the project in order to maintain backwards compatibility with old Haiku executable files from the 90's, which enforced a ton of restrictions on what could or couldn't be changed.
                    That's not true anymore... Haiku has experimental intel and radeon acceleration since last year.

Comment

Working...
                    X