Mesa 23.1 Zink Change Further Lowers CPU Overhead, Less vRAM Utilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 23.1 Zink Change Further Lowers CPU Overhead, Less vRAM Utilization

Phoronix: Mesa 23.1 Zink Change Further Lowers CPU Overhead, Less vRAM Utilization

Yet another Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan driver optimization has landed in Mesa 23.1 ahead of its official release next quarter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool!
    Now I wish that all desktop environments would add a Zink renderer.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Cool!
      Now I wish that all desktop environments would add a Zink renderer.
      No such thing. Zink just translates GL/gallium calls to vulkan. As Zink becomes more and more complete, it'll be able to handle rendering a DE, but that isn't a fault of the DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724

I forced Zink globally some weeks ago with Fedora 37 and GNOME worked fine. It had Zink in the About -> Graphics settings pane.
        Oh it's able to handle desktops now? Neat.

Comment

I tried running American Truck Simulator with it and the performance is close to native GL. Game reports driver is zink:

00:00:00.482 : [gl] driver: zink (AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (RADV NAVI21))

vs:

00:00:00.593 : [gl] driver: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (navi21, LLVM 15.0.7, DRM 3.49, 6.1.12-x64v3-xanmod1)

That seems pretty amazing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
            Worked half a year ago with KDE, though I only logged in, checked that it reports zink and logged out 5 mins later.

Comment

Originally posted by writequit View Post
              I tried running American Truck Simulator with it and the performance is close to native GL. Game reports driver is zink:

00:00:00.482 : [gl] driver: zink (AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (RADV NAVI21))

vs:

00:00:00.593 : [gl] driver: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (navi21, LLVM 15.0.7, DRM 3.49, 6.1.12-x64v3-xanmod1)

That seems pretty amazing to me.
              Close to native, as in, it dips, or its constantly below, or its all over the place?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Close to native, as in, it dips, or its constantly below, or its all over the place?
                Seems about the same really I only had a quick look around but performance with native is not great to begin with. I'd rather use proton but sometimes that has trouble with my input devices.

Comment

Originally posted by writequit View Post

Seems about the same really I only had a quick look around but performance with native is not great to begin with. I'd rather use proton but sometimes that has trouble with my input devices.
                  I think the only game that runs better in native (vs Proton) for me is Minecraft, which is also a prime candidate for Zink.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Why not? Desktops require a lower version of OpenGL, not 4.6, and Zinc is compliant IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                    X