Mesa's Rusticl OpenCL Driver Nearly Ready With AMD Radeon GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Rusticl OpenCL Driver Nearly Ready With AMD Radeon GPU Support

Phoronix: Mesa's Rusticl OpenCL Driver Nearly Ready With AMD Radeon GPU Support

The Rusticl Rust-based OpenCL driver implementation that was merged last year into Mesa 22.3 has been an extremely promising effort. One of the issues though is that with the current mainline state inside Mesa has lacked support for working with AMD Radeon GPUs via the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver, but that is now coming to fruition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is still one more MR which needs to be merged, but we're almost there: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...2#note_1755422
    Talking about ROCm I've managed to compile it on my Raptor CS Talos 2 ppc64le but it fails at runtime: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...ime/issues/158
    Rusticl on the other hand already works (at least for some workloads), but it renders black images in darktable.
    Which one will enable fully working OpenCL acceleration on ppc64le first? I wouldn't bet on ROCm unfortunately.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Nice! I myself and a lot of other people are waiting for this, I know a few VS filters that can benefit nicely from rusticl

Comment

Rusticl is great. OpenCL is a shitshow on Intel too with a huge bloated toolchain and they only support OpenCL to push you into their own "one" API anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
          OpenCL is a shitshow on Intel
          Is it? I've recently tried Intel's Neo on my old Broadwell and it's twice as fast compared to their old Beignet stack. I will benchmark it against Rusticl soon.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Nice! I myself and a lot of other people are waiting for this, I know a few VS filters that can benefit nicely from rusticl
            Some are probably busted with RustCL thanks to a vendor string check bug, just as they are busted with ROCM/Mesa now:

Running Arch Linux, KNLMeans does not recognize my AMD (integrated) GPU, even though clinfo does. Looks like its a problem with the oclutils library. This is what I get from running its little exam...

(And IIRC this isnt is the only vs filter that uses oclutils, but I gave up and just ran it on Nvidia OpenCL...)

Comment

This is very good work! But am I the only one who, every time I read Rusticl, think of "testicle"?

Comment

Originally posted by Eumaios View Post
                This is very good work! But am I the only one who, every time I read Rusticl, think of "testicle"?
                No, but it actually is a thing.

A rusticle is a formation of rust similar to an icicle or stalactite in appearance that occurs deep underwater when wrought iron oxidizes. They may be familiar from underwater photographs of shipwrecks, such as the RMS Titanic and the German battleship Bismarck.​

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Some are probably busted with RustCL thanks to a vendor string check bug, just as they are busted with ROCM/Mesa now:

Running Arch Linux, KNLMeans does not recognize my AMD (integrated) GPU, even though clinfo does. Looks like its a problem with the oclutils library. This is what I get from running its little exam...

(And IIRC this isnt is the only vs filter that uses oclutils, but I gave up and just ran it on Nvidia OpenCL...)

At least nnedi3cl seems to work on rusticl I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

No, but it actually is a thing.
                    You taught me something new. I thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X