Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Adds Compute Shader Decoding For ASTC

Phoronix: Mesa Adds Compute Shader Decoding For ASTC

The Mesa 23.1 graphics drover code has added support for software-based decoding of Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression (ASTC) textures via compute shaders...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So if I understand this correctly, there was already a software fallback in place, but this is supposed to be faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      So if I understand this correctly, there was already a software fallback in place, but this is supposed to be faster?
      That was a CPU based decoder.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

"The Mesa 23.1 graphics drover code.."

Spelling > ...driver...

Comment

I wonder if this will work in android via virgl, IIRC some games have been giving issues with this

Comment

When is Mesa 23.0 actually going to be released though?

Comment

Sounds like the Yuzu Switch Emulator devs are going to get what they wanted for AMD and Intel users! They've been asking for ASTC native processing from GPUs; here's a software API solution to it from Mesa.

They have been asking for this capability as recent as the month of this Phoronix article publication! What a coincidence!
              Read through this blog and they request it here! (Control-F "ASTC")

Comment

Working...
              X