MSM DRM Driver Adds Support For Newer Qualcomm Platforms With Linux 6.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSM DRM Driver Adds Support For Newer Qualcomm Platforms With Linux 6.3

Phoronix: MSM DRM Driver Adds Support For Newer Qualcomm Platforms With Linux 6.3

The MSM Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver that was started originally as part of the Freedreno effort for open-source, reverse-engineered graphics driver support for Qualcomm Adreno graphics continues flourishing. A number of MSM driver additions -- including new Qualcomm platform support -- is ready to go with the upcoming Linux 6.3 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to see Linux running on Windows Dev Kit 2023 ARM PC

Comment

Really weird naming. Looking at the names I would guess SM8350 was Snapdragon 835, SM8450 was Snapdragon 845, and SM8550 was Snapdragon 855. This is really confusing!

Comment

So in a few months we can buy a brand new Galaxy S23 with a Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, unlock it, install Linux on it with a 6.3 kernel and run Gnome Shell.

Comment

I really like the X13s, but the price / performance ratio looks abysmal, without even considering compatibility Any idea what desktop graphics, va-api, media playback etc are like on these chips? Does wayland work well on them?

I also wonder if they have any sort of BIOS lock like Intel Boot Guard or AMD PSB, since some recent qualcomm chips are being worked on in coreboot
          Last edited by mihau; 31 January 2023, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Really weird naming. Looking at the names I would guess SM8350 was Snapdragon 835, SM8450 was Snapdragon 845, and SM8550 was Snapdragon 855. This is really confusing!
            qcom's marketing vs technical (ie. what is used in kernel, etc) naming is confusing to me too.. I guess they are trying to be as confusing as intel :-P

Comment

Originally posted by mihau View Post
              I really like the X13s, but the price / performance ratio looks abysmal, without even considering compatibility Any idea what desktop graphics, va-api, media playback etc are like on these chips? Does wayland work well on them?

I also wonder if they have any sort of BIOS lock like Intel Boot Guard or AMD PSB, since some recent qualcomm chips are being worked on in coreboot
              The fw is similar to what you get w/ x86 windows laptops (UEFI, but secure boot can be disabled so you can boot whatever you want). Display is up, GPU not quite yet (but seems to be getting close).

Not sure about vid enc/dec status, but it should be closely related to other devices that are supported by upstream v4l2 based decoder. I think on the vid enc/dec side, the limiting factor is that video is decoupled from the GPU (although supporting the same UBWC/bandwidth-compressed formats as GPU and display), so the API isn't vaapi/vdpau/vk/etc. AFAIU there is some ffmpeg/gst support for v4l2 stateful decoders, whether or not it is enabled in your favorite $distro, idk. CrOS skips all those with a video stack that goes directly to v4l2 kernel drivers, although it wouldn't surprise me if there is some #ifdef CROMEOS type stuff standing in the way of just switching it on in linux chrome(ium) builds. I guess there isn't too much work on the driver side, but a lot more work on distro/app side to support a setup where video enc/dec is not part of the GPU. (It is a situation common AFAICT to all non-x86 SoCs.. the "video is part of the GPU" is very much an x86ism)

Comment

Working...
              X