Mesa 23.0 Enables Vulkan Mesh Shaders For AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 23.0 Enables Vulkan Mesh Shaders For AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series

Phoronix: Mesa 23.0 Enables Vulkan Mesh Shaders For AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series

As of today with Mesa 23.0 Git the EXT_mesh_shader extension is finally enabled by default for AMD Radeon RX 6000 "RDNA2" graphics hardware when running on a new Linux kernel build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

pretty nice. not to many games use it though. the only one off the top of my head is a chinese mmo, justice online i think its called. UE5 engine has support for it so newer games using that engine will at least have access to it.

that said, 90% of the life of my 6900 xt since i bought it in jan 2021 has been on linux. outside a few nitpick level complaints, its been rock solid. its just worked. i feel like rdna 2 on linux has been the best of any release.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
      pretty nice. not to many games use it though. the only one off the top of my head is a chinese mmo, justice online i think its called. UE5 engine has support for it so newer games using that engine will at least have access to it.

that said, 90% of the life of my 6900 xt since i bought it in jan 2021 has been on linux. outside a few nitpick level complaints, its been rock solid. its just worked. i feel like rdna 2 on linux has been the best of any release.
      Source on Unreal Engine using mesh shaders? As far as I know, they don't use it and their new nanite system works differently.

Comment

Silly question: mesa-git, or also mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
          Silly question: mesa-git, or also mesa?
          Obviously Mesa Git as mentioned in the article ;p
          It will be part of Mesa 23.0 when it is released.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriar View Post

Source on Unreal Engine using mesh shaders? As far as I know, they don't use it and their new nanite system works differently.
            https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/as...7074/73?page=4
            Mesh shaders are already used by Nanite for larger triangles on hardware that supports them. WPO support is coming to Nanite which doesn’t conflict with the mesh shader support we have already.

If you are asking do we plan to exploit mesh shaders outside of Nanite I believe the answer currently is no. Instead we are going the opposite direction and trying to support everything in Nanite, bit by bit. That is a very long road so please don’t read into that as everything can be Nanite soon but that is the long term vision and where we are investing our resources.
            their nanite system uses mesh shaders. its what nanite is built off of.

Comment

What exactly does this mean:

Code:
              info->has_gang_submit = info->drm_minor >= 49;​
              What is drm_minor here? Gang submit exists in kernel 6.1. I just wonder how that translates to 49.

UPDATE:

Hm, looks like amdgpu has its own versions for capabilities, with major and minor versions.
              Last edited by shmerl; 21 December 2022, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                What exactly does this mean:

Code:
                info->has_gang_submit = info->drm_minor >= 49;​
                What is drm_minor here? Gang submit exists in kernel 6.1. I just wonder how that translates to 49.
                DRM has its own versioning scheme, 49 comes from this commit:

Since that has now landed bump the minor to let userspace know about it. Signed-off-by: Christian König <[email protected]> Reviewed-by: Alex Deucher <[email protected]>...

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

DRM has its own versioning scheme, 49 comes from this commit:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/co...81857b227f632b
                  I see, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724

My Acer 1080p screen won't turn it's backlight off most of the time on Linux when it's connected to my 6600 XT. No problem from Windows, and no problem with the same screen connected to an Intel UHD 630 laptop.
                    Please open a bug report if you haven't already

Comment

Working...
                    X