X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

cb88 AFAIK only kernel space is shared, and maybe some low level interface bits.
    I believe that is correct. It is also possible they reuse larger things like compilers where it makes sense if they are dual license (most of the MESA stuff is) but we have no way of knowing that.

Leave a comment:

• Mystro256
    replied
    user1 AFAIK, OGLP is the closed source OGL driver that has been reworked to get better performance. This has replaced the old closed source driver in both Windows and Linux (i.e. amdgpu-pro's workstation GL). As far as I know, yes, the P in OLGP is short for PAL.

cb88 AFAIK only kernel space is shared, and maybe some low level interface bits.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Is Mesa GPL/LGPL? If so, and AMD did borrow any code from it, they'd have to (L)GPL significant portions of their windows userspace driver.
    Unless they only borrowed their own code (or got approval).

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Is Mesa GPL/LGPL? If so, and AMD did borrow any code from it, they'd have to (L)GPL their whole windows stack, from that point upward.
    It's MIT (mostly) and a few other permissive licenses in spots.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 17 December 2022, 03:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post
    I also don't think it shares code with Mesa, since these are 2 wildly different codebases.
    Is Mesa GPL/LGPL? If so, and AMD did borrow any code from it, they'd have to (L)GPL significant portions of their windows userspace driver.
    Last edited by coder; 17 December 2022, 04:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JacekJagosz
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Heard AMD started to improve their Windows OpenGL driver. I wonder if they borrowed any code from the Linux side.
    I kind of does, when the driver with big gains in OpenGL came out people noticed the shader compiler is different, it went from AMD's propietary to LLVM. The binary got much bigger and shader compilation times longer, but we finally got more sharing between Windows and Open Source.
    Funny that on linux for a few years LLVM has been the worse compiler, with a ton of effort going into ACO, and yet LLVM was still better for Windows. But I get while ACO is more focused and better for gaming, LLVM is used by AMD for everything, not just gaming but also compute, a basis for ROCm.

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Its very unlikely, I think there is some code sharing in the GPU driver itself, but the new OpenGL implementation is written on top of AMD's DX11 framework update.
    That was some early speculation which has already been disproven by someone from AMD. The new driver is based on PAL (like Vulkan and DX12). In fact "OGLP" is probably an acronym of OpenGL PAL. I also don't think it shares code with Mesa, since these are 2 wildly different codebases.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Heard AMD started to improve their Windows OpenGL driver. I wonder if they borrowed any code from the Linux side.
    Its very unlikely, I think there is some code sharing in the GPU driver itself, but the new OpenGL implementation is written on top of AMD's DX11 framework update.

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    Nobody is talking about it, but It's interesting that despite all the recent RadeonSi workstation performance optimizations, that new better optimized Windows OpenGL driver (called OGLP) is actually available as part of amdgpu-pro. I wonder what for?

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Not only have they improved it, it's actually good for what might be the first time ever. Kinda stupid, considering OpenGL is largely obsolete now (particularly in Windows).
    AMD is so fast at driver development, it amuses me...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X