Blumenkrantz Flushes 17.1k Lines Of Old Mesa Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

XvMC targets really old hardware. It was targeted at hardware that only had partial video decode support (i.e., just Motion Compensation). All radeons with UVD hardware support VA-API, VDPAU, and OpenMAX as the hardware supports full decode support.
    Just curious, Openmax support is cool and all, but I am a little confused on if it's actually used? do you know if there is anyone actually using mesa's openmax in production for anything? or is it something just kinda nice to have? Off the top of my head, maybe android? I realize gstreamer as openmax support too, but im wondering if anything utilizes it that would be paired with mesa.

been something eating at the back of my mind on and off for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Just curious, Openmax support is cool and all, but I am a little confused on if it's actually used? do you know if there is anyone actually using mesa's openmax in production for anything? or is it something just kinda nice to have? Off the top of my head, maybe android? I realize gstreamer as openmax support too, but im wondering if anything utilizes it that would be paired with mesa.

been something eating at the back of my mind on and off for a while
      gstreamer has support for it. We have a number of customers that use gstreamer over OpenMAX.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

gstreamer has support for it. We have a number of customers that use gstreamer over OpenMAX.
        thanks for letting me know, guess ill look into using openmax, not sure what any of the pros and cons are of it though, but could be neat to look into.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

thanks for letting me know, guess ill look into using openmax, not sure what any of the pros and cons are of it though, but could be neat to look into.
          OpenMAX was originally supported because it was the only video encode and decode API at the time supported on Linux and it was a Khronos standard. That said, most apps use VA-API today so there is no real need to use OpenMAX unless you have an existing use case for it.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

The only way V4L2 is going to be "replaced" is for something that takes its place...
            Don't a lot of the specialized ASICs on some GPUs use V4L2 as an interface? Like the IPU on some Intel processors? I wasn't sure if V4L2 was specifically and strictly limited to video-for-linux or if the actual uses of the kernel subsystem have been taken advantage of for purposes that perhaps it wasn't originally intended for.

Comment

Working...
            X