Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blumenkrantz Flushes 17.1k Lines Of Old Mesa Code

Phoronix: Blumenkrantz Flushes 17.1k Lines Of Old Mesa Code

Well known Zink developer Mike Blumekrantz, working for Valve on improving Mesa's OpenGL-on-Vulkan driver, has kicked off October by removing a lot of old Mesa code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Name typo at the beginning...

Comment

Awesome. Give some props and visibility for code cleanups

Comment

I think this cleanup is a good sign

Comment

I miss a blog post from him with an awesome story how his delete key got stuck and -17k lines of Mesa code were the result, with Mesa still running flawlessly afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            I miss a blog post from him with an awesome story how his delete key got stuck and -17k lines of Mesa code were the result, with Mesa still running flawlessly afterwards.
            Beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              In a Marie Kondo style blog post? If the code doestnt make vrooomm there is no emotional attachment so it can be thrown out

Comment

with xvmc gone, it has fgotten me thinking, as much as I like vaapi, I wish we had something that was more unified, specifically with v4l2. the v4l2->libva seems to be a dead project, and implementing v4l2 + vaapi or just use the sledge hammer approach and use ffmpeg or gstreamer is suboptimal IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  with xvmc gone, it has fgotten me thinking, as much as I like vaapi, I wish we had something that was more unified, specifically with v4l2. the v4l2->libva seems to be a dead project, and implementing v4l2 + vaapi or just use the sledge hammer approach and use ffmpeg or gstreamer is suboptimal IMO.
                  It seems like v4l2 is about to get replaced too so doing anything to work with it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Comment

My pre-coffee brain saw XvMC as “XMBC” and wondered why the heck XBox Media Center was included in Mesa to begin with.

In all seriousness though, XvMC really was only applicable to a few specific GPUs that use the r600 driver, right? Maybe like the Radeon HD 2000 series?

Not really a big loss as… well… what in the modern world would be using MPEG1/2 anyway?

It’s great to have continued r600 driver support for OpenGL but to be fair I don’t see this specifically as a loss.

My iMac (2007, Radeon Pro 2600) running Ubuntu in my guest room relies on r600 Gallium drivers to act as media streaming machine for company when they are here / doubles as a TV. But everything is H264 at least so 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Working...
                    X