Zink Enables OpenGL Threading For "Huge Perf Gains"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

How are they supposed to be performing when nVidia does everything they can to block function of reverse-engineered code? Last I checked, Nouveau couldn't reclock above the lowest speed on anything past Kepler or maybe Maxwell era?
    the situation with Nvidia signed firmwares is slowly starting to change...

you should check the recent "Nvidia" news on Phoronix for the details, but in short they have finally opensourced some driver that's not for their ARM boards but really for their dGPUs!

It will take linux devs years to rewrite that spaghetty into something decent for kernel inclusion, but the insights gained are already invaluable.

They have also released a couple more signed firmware modules than in the past, and seem to be on track to release more at some point.

Nothing that will make an immediate difference for PC gamers, but at least a light at the end of a long tunnel for green penguins.
    Last edited by marlock; 04 October 2022, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
      the situation with Nvidia signed firmwares is slowly starting to change...

you should check the recent "Nvidia" news on Phoronix for the details, but in short they have finally opensourced some driver that's not for their ARM boards but really for their dGPUs!

It will take linux devs years to rewrite that spaghetty into something decent for kernel inclusion, but the insights gained are already invaluable.

They have also released a couple more signed firmware modules than in the past, and seem to be on track to release more at some point.

Nothing that will make an immediate difference for PC gamers, but at least a light at the end of a long tunnel for green penguins.
      I just did, and it was real exciting up until I read that the signed firmware nVidia released for use by open-source drivers still does not allow reclocking or power management.

Comment

Working...
      X