Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink Enables OpenGL Threading For "Huge Perf Gains"

Phoronix: Zink Enables OpenGL Threading For "Huge Perf Gains"

Recently the open-source AMD OpenGL driver "RadeonSI" enabled OpenGL threading by default for the "glthread" option that has long been opt-in on a per-game/app basis. Along with that has been a number of glthread-related improvements to this code that punts executing OpenGL calls to a separate CPU thread. The Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan driver has now unconditionally enabled OpenGL threading too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like it when my games go vrooooooooooooooooooooooooooom. Unless I'm playing WipEout. Then I like vrrrrrvrvrrrrvrrrrvrvrvrvrvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Comment

Been using mesa_glthread=true since I bought my RX6800XT. Not sure if it helps but I did not have any issues with it enabled.

Comment

This is a great and welcome patch, but my only concern is that it might make it a lot harder to find what exactly still needs optimization. I suppose devs could just deliberately turn off threading so they can see how it compares to other drivers.

Comment

Wow, 35% is nothing short of an amazing perf win.

Comment

Ok there is speed claim in commit but there is no benchmark on Phoronix? Missed opportunity...
            RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Mike Blumenkrantz is my hero. This project is simply astounding in how stable and performant it runs and will prove very important for preservation of games for many years to come.

Comment

I hope Zink on Intel Xe iGPUs make the cut for the benchmarks, it would be interesting to see how Zink performs across all three major graphics players and not just, say, a bunch of different AMD GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                  I hope Zink on Intel Xe iGPUs make the cut for the benchmarks, it would be interesting to see how Zink performs across all three major graphics players and not just, say, a bunch of different AMD GPUs.
                  I’m hopeful that within two years’ time nouveau will have better performance on modern cards as well. Zink on nvidia would be neat for an open gaming solution. Then again I still dislike nvidia but whatever

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

I’m hopeful that within two years’ time nouveau will have better performance on modern cards as well. Zink on nvidia would be neat for an open gaming solution. Then again I still dislike nvidia but whatever
                    How are they supposed to be performing when nVidia does everything they can to block function of reverse-engineered code? Last I checked, Nouveau couldn't reclock above the lowest speed on anything past Kepler or maybe Maxwell era?

Comment

Working...
                    X