Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Adds AV1 Decode Support To Their Mesa D3D12 Driver

Phoronix: Microsoft Adds AV1 Decode Support To Their Mesa D3D12 Driver

Microsoft engineers continue working on improving their Direct3D 12 driver within Mesa for benefiting Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2) usage and similar...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WSL2 getting full hardware accelerated video support faster than native Linux? This really isn't a good sign...

Comment

Thanks mesa. /s

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        WSL2 getting full hardware accelerated video support faster than native Linux? This really isn't a good sign...
        Say thanks to stupid Fedora and Suse policies.

Comment

There's already AV1 decoding support on native Linux (for Mesa AMD drivers of course).

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Say thanks to stupid Fedora and Suse policies.
            I said this the other day -- It'd be nice if they'd come up with some sort of USB DRM key or DRM module that plugs into a slot like a hardware TPM key. Just plug in the key and that proves you have the licenses to use the codecs. The status quo sucks where we own a handful of supported devices that come with licenses bundled and being unable to transfer the licenses between devices like from an unused device to an in-use one. Some of these licenses I know I've paid for 10 times by now.

Comment

Unfortunately, Windows isn't hampered by royalties and licenses and all that kind of legalese bullshit that holds Linux back.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Unfortunately, Windows isn't hampered by royalties and licenses and all that kind of legalese bullshit that holds Linux back.
                Just search for HEVC in microsoft store
                you can't play HEVC in windows without that
                And it only works when you have hw with HEVC decoder
                so no software fallback.
                Yes it all works just fine with some codec packs or VLC
                but windows don't enable HEVC by default.
                And funny stuff
                if you want HEVC decoder support in windows browser only EDGE has it working and only when you buy HEVC in microsoft store

Comment

Aren't they asking money for this new codec like they do with others?
                  I know it's an open codec, but I wouldn't be surprised if they asked money for it anyway.

Comment

Microsoft can afford to throw 50 people at it for 8 hours a day. At the end of a week that's 2000 man hours.

Linux Mint can afford to throw 3 people at it, likely not for 8 hours a day. At best, that's 120 man hours in the week.

Now you tell me why we're at where we are at.

Comment

Working...
                    X