Microsoft Speeds Up Mesa VA-API Video Acceleration For FFmpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Because it benefits their WSL-g support (graphics inside WSL) which they've been steadily working towards for more than a year now?
    Could be. Is the perf that much of a turd presently? I never touched WSL so I'd be curious to hear from those who have played with WSL in this arena.
    Last edited by kozman; 22 September 2022, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      Probably the first MS Mesa contribution I've seen, that benefits everyone, not just them.
      We can hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Devorlon View Post
        From the gitlab:

"Good implementation, we will also enable this on radeon drivers as well." - Ruijing Dong​
        I guess we'll have to see what the benchmarks reveal once people start testing the patch.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Evil corporation, evil improvements. Do not touch!
          The reality here is
          Microsoft officials confirmed on November 13 -- a few days after pulling a Windows 7 download tool that allegedly contained improperly-licensed open-souce code -- that the company did, indeed violate the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). It plans to reissue the source and binaries for the tool next week under the GPL v2.

2009 Microsoft got quite a beating over miss handling open source.

Of course that does not mean Microsoft is not evil. There are lot of documented things that are not great with Microsoft..

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I wouldn't complain that Microsoft is helping because we could use it. Sure it's for their own benefits as well but at least they donated code.

@qarium​ where Apple with their help on Linux?
          Apple did fund the cups project work for a time.

Really Microsoft does more work on Linux than people would presume lot due to Asure. WSL-G work has seen Microsoft add lots of different bits of code to Mesa. Microsoft donating the code is more they don't want to find themselves back in 2009 problem.

Of course having the code means other parties see how it can be useful. Change Microsoft did was improve VA-API performance with WSL only. Now AMD developer looked at it and went hey this is going to be generically useful so I will implement the bits on the AMD driver side as well.

This is how open source can work. Parties can hate each other yet still in fact make something highly useful based of each other alterations if the code is open sourced.

Really Microsoft is not intentionally doing generic improvements to Mesa yet but has include code in case someone want to take it generic that they can hopeful without breaking the code.

There has been cycle here Microsoft does a alteration for opengl on dx12(as in for WSL-G) then the other open source opengl driver developers look at it and go hey this could useful with a few changes be generic and go head and straight do changes to make it more compatible generic usage in the process break what Microsoft had done leading to other fun problem. Microsoft developers this time around attempted to break that cycle.

The reality is multi parties in Mesa development and many open source projects are "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" with twist "The enemy of my enemy is also my enemy" at the same time. So this is kind of like unease truce with non moving front lines and all sides are trying to work out how not to be shooting each other just because someone moves a single stone.

Really to work with people does not mean you have to like them.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post

<grabs popcorn>
            I'm aware today M$ have no choice, but to fall in love with Linux, but their dirty actions must be remembered. Furthermore, they're leeches. They didn't contribute anything interesting. Not even freaking ntfs driver. Red Hat, IBM are criticized here, but some punks are praised, because they contributed something for themselves. Other can benefit after some work, but it's nothing in comparison to contributions from companies like mentioned Red Hat. FU M$.

Comment

I think MS want to be where the customers are, and a large group of customers are developers who want or need to use tools running on linux. Also, they want to attract talent who are in part maybe idealists that could easily find a position at google. At the same time, the OS might no longer be where the money is, so in the long run I wouldn't be surprised if they moved from a windows kernel with a linux subsystem to a linux kernel with a windows subsystem. This will make them not Satan but exactly the same as all the other companies earning money through linux. Balmer was principally opposed to open source, but Nadella is no fool and seems to care only at the end result. This is good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post

I wonder this too. They aren't exactly benevolent. I guess time will tell? Still, nice win for Mesa. 22.3 is shaping up to be a killer release with tons of perf wins.
                MS employs tens if not hundreds of thousands of developers, there is bound to be individuals inside that cohort that likes to work on Linux but works at MS due to it gives a paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                  MS employs tens if not hundreds of thousands of developers, there is bound to be individuals inside that cohort that likes to work on Linux but works at MS due to it gives a paycheck.
                  That doesn't mean either that MS will allow that choice (most companies decide your system for you) nor that it will pay for the development to improve your choice (the companies that allow choice often do so with a "you're on your own" attitude).

Comment

No Embrace, Extend, Extinguish references? You folks have disappointed me.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      I don't understand what MS is getting out of this. It's a nice patch but I can't help but wonder why they're doing it.
                      Probably either Azure Dev Box support and/or Azure Virtual Desktop support (which used to be "Windows Virtual Desktop").

Comment

Working...
                      X