Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 22.2 Released With AMD RDNA3 Prep, Intel Arc Graphics, Many Vulkan Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also it's a bit ironic that Nvidia now has a VA-API over NVENC compatibility layer at the same time that so many patent-encumbered codecs are ripped off of opensource drivers...

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
      wow, i knew it was sensible of RedHat to pull out those codecs from a finished distro release, but to see mesa devs deem it legally too risky to even let the option available for others to compile mesa with those codecs?!

it's horrible to see how patent law can be so pernicious and antagonic to technological advancement and adoption, and it's also a bit scary that this has been in there until now and only now did they wake up to such a big risk being taken...
      what are you talking about here? you can still enable the codecs in git...

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

what are you talking about here? you can still enable the codecs in git...
        Isn't that what this means?
        Support for building Mesa with select video codecs disabled out of software patent concerns.
        Sure enough you can use an old version of mesa, or patch the new code, but that's very different from flipping a flag when compiling the current version of the code. And the way this is written isn't pointing towards just a new compile flag with default state off.
        Last edited by marlock; 18 October 2022, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Isn't that what this means?

Sure enough you can use an old version of mesa, or patch the new code, but that's very different from flipping a flag when compiling the new code.
          ah I see, no you got it backwards, it means that mesa introduced the capability to build mesa without needing to enable those codecs, before if you enabled vaapi you had to enable all codecs such as avc and hevc, so what is being said here is that you now have the ability to build mesa with vaapi without needing said codecs.

now you specify something like -Dvideo-codecs h264enc h265dec etc.

Comment

Oh, I see! Thanks for clearing it up! That's much nicer than the parallel reality I was briefly living in

Comment

Oh, I see! Thanks for clearing it up! That's much nicer than the parallel reality I was briefly living in
              I wouldn't even be all that upset myself, since it would help push av1 and vp9 even more

Comment

Working...
              X