Mesa 22.3 Lands New "Rusticl" OpenCL 3.0 Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Your complaint has been noted. Thank you for your time.
    I do not agree with this.

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

and who are you?
    My full nickname is ArchLinux.

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Thank you for explaining your terse statements...
    You are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
      What do you not agree with?
      Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
      That truly this news is what happened.
      You don't agree that…it got merged? You can see on the merge request that it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post

If you're referring to ROCm, unfortunately my use case requires image support.
        In the past I've made use of AMDGPU-PRO but it causes compatibility issues for me with some apps.
        Already works: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...09#post1341309

Pastebin.pl is a website where you can store code/text online for a set period of time and share to anybody on earth

Blender support hints on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Svyatko View Post

Already works: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...09#post1341309

Pastebin.pl is a website where you can store code/text online for a set period of time and share to anybody on earth

Blender support hints on it.
          That's good news, thx. I'll have another look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by NM64 View Post

Finally, maybe soon enough I'll have a working OpenCL solution on my Ryzen 4800U (which ROCm straight-up does not support).
            OpenCL works OK with Ryzen 3200G + PAL drivers: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ess-amdgpu-pro
            I didn't test ROCm and HIP yet, going to do it.
            ILL AMD waits for community contribution to get working OpenCL solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Svyatko View Post

OpenCL works OK with Ryzen 3200G + PAL drivers: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ess-amdgpu-pro
              Huh, good to know.

However, I've got to wonder what would happen, with that installed, if you then tried to boot the OS on a system with Intel graphics - something that I actually plan to do in the near future by moving over to my Intel desktop for the winter months. Historically, because they both use mesa, I've found things "just work" when switching between AMD CPU/GPU systems and Intel CPU/GPU systems and I would think that rusticl would be no different in the "it just works" regard (once it has support for Radeon graphics of course).

So, while the information is useful, it's going to be of questionable benefit to my use-case, especially in the upcoming months since rusticl already supports Intel iGPUs.

And BTW, in my mini-ramble about swearing off Intel graphics except when HDTVs or CRT monitors are involved is a key point here since that's exactly what my "winter" desktop setup uses, so no scaling woes to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by NM64 View Post

Huh, good to know.

However, I've got to wonder what would happen, with that installed, if you then tried to boot the OS on a system with Intel graphics
                These days Vulkan, OpenGL and OpenCL vendor drivers are loaded at runtime. You can have different providers. Or e.g. a proprietary OpenCL driver while the rest is oss

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Regarding Scala, have you tried the metals extension for Scala with VSCode https://scalameta.org/metals/docs/editors/vscode ? I use it quite frequently and its very polished now.
                  Without getting into it too much, I've tried it off and on, but Metals doesn't really like my corporate environment (primarily due to network issues) and because it's a language I'm actually not particularly fond of, it's not a language I really use for projects on my personal computers where it would actually work properly.

I don't think the Scala plugin for Intellij is actually bad though, but I have a lot of trouble with both the language itself and how the libraries written in it I have to interface with are designed. At least for Scala 2(.12) (I haven't had a chance to try 3 because it's not compatible with the libraries i need) the entire language is a bundle of duct tape, bubble gum, and chicken wire very poorly attached on top of the JVM (and due to my requirements of being stuck on Java 8 incompatible with equivalent Java functionality in various ways, Scala closures vs Java Lambdas for one), with a type inferencer that is too primitive, and there's also this tendency to include everything and the kitchen sink which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that whereas in basically every other language I can make naive guesses based on what functions sound like the right one and that the intellisense supports in what documentation it shows... in Scala there tends to be several functions that do the same exact thing with completely different names, that do it subtly differently in ways that matter.​

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

You don't agree that…it got merged? You can see on the merge request that it happened.
                    In my opinion, fake merge.

Comment

It was clear after ArchLinuxs second post that he's just a troll. Stop feeding him.

Comment

Working...
                      X