Mesa's Rust OpenCL Implementation Expected To Be Merged In Coming Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Rust OpenCL Implementation Expected To Be Merged In Coming Days

Phoronix: Mesa's Rust OpenCL Implementation Expected To Be Merged In Coming Days

As part of experimenting with using Rust code inside Mesa, longtime Mesa developer Karol Herbst of Red Hat has been developing Rusticl as a new Rust-based OpenCL implementation for Gallium3D and an alternative to the long-standing "Clover" OpenCL state tracker. That Rusticl code with the initial Rust infrastructure for Mesa is expected to be merged in the coming days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds really promising and I hope it works soon fine on a AMD gpu. Definitly something I look forward to test in Mesa 22.3 :-)

Comment

I hope it will cooperate if you also have ROCm for example, and apps won't end up using the wrong one.

Comment

just waiting for radeonsi support for me

Comment

JacekJagosz It'll be fine - OpenCL has an ICD loader like Vulkan.

Comment

I'm amused and pleased that it's still called rusticl, even though that sounds like testicle.

Comment

This is amazing news. Many thanks to Karol!

Comment

that picture perfectly describes the overall state of OpenCL

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
                  that picture perfectly describes the overall state of OpenCL
                  Karol, do you happen to know if someone's started looking at porting rusticl to work with radeon GPUs? I've gotten completely sidetracked from clover/libclc work over the last couple years (work, life, kids, other hobbies), but wouldn't mind pitching in a bit over the coming fall/winter when time permits.

--Aaron Watry

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Karol, do you happen to know if someone's started looking at porting rusticl to work with radeon GPUs? I've gotten completely sidetracked from clover/libclc work over the last couple years (work, life, kids, other hobbies), but wouldn't mind pitching in a bit over the coming fall/winter when time permits.

--Aaron Watry
                    it really just needs ACO for radeonsi. Given that r600 now supports NIR natively it should be trivial to wire up.

Comment

Working...
                    X