Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Zink Improvements For OpenGL-On-Vulkan Reportedly Make It Faster Than Radeon OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Zink Improvements For OpenGL-On-Vulkan Reportedly Make It Faster Than Radeon OpenGL

Phoronix: Mesa Zink Improvements For OpenGL-On-Vulkan Reportedly Make It Faster Than Radeon OpenGL

The latest Mesa 22.3-devel code for Zink's OpenGL on Vulkan implementation has hit an important milestone with the latest code refactoring: it looks like this OpenGL implementation atop the Vulkan API with the RADV driver is beginning to outpace AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D driver providing native OpenGL support for Radeon GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you run some benchmarks, can you test CSGO opengl (togl) native, opengl zink, and vulkan (dxvk)?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it only applies to certain OpenGL calls / tasks. I just don't believe in such good drastic changes that out of the blue Zinc can replace OpenGL without any repercussions.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        I'm pretty sure it only applies to certain OpenGL calls / tasks. I just don't believe in such good drastic changes that out of the blue Zinc can replace OpenGL without any repercussions.
        Well, Vulkan _really_ is low level and low overhead, these Zink improvements don't seem that unbelievable to me

Comment

Originally posted by tachi View Post

Well, Vulkan _really_ is low level and low overhead, these Zink improvements don't seem that unbelievable to me
          With Zink, on an AMD system you have
          Code:
          Application -> Zink -> RADV -> GPU
          or
          Code:
          Application -> RadeonSI -> GPU
          Zink being faster than RadeonSI points to some kind of inefficiency in RadeonSI. The issue might be that RSI is very conformant even with odd, old and buggy OpenGL code whereas Zink probably isn't.

Comment

What's next for Zink? Maybe OpenGL SC? (OpenGL for Safety Critical applications)

Are the DirectX-over-Vulkan implementations equally fast?

Comment

Seems like good news for Linux to me - frees up driver maintainers' time to work on other things/more drivers

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
                If you run some benchmarks, can you test CSGO opengl (togl) native, opengl zink, and vulkan (dxvk)?
                I would be interested in this too. However, I'm not sure if CSGO can run on DXVK. My quick test today failed with some errors about connecting to steam client.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

I would be interested in this too. However, I'm not sure if CSGO can run on DXVK. My quick test today failed with some errors about connecting to steam client.
                  The source engine probably uses opengl or vulkan by default now, dxvk is designed to run directx on vulkan. Maybe the windows version of csgo has directx support but I somehow doubt it, it would just be duplication of effort since they already support opengl and vulkan to support dx too, it'd serve no real purpose except for comparisons like this really.

Maybe they still have legacy support for directx, and maybe it requires special launch options or something, I don't really know, i'm just guessing at reasons why you might have failed to run CSGO on DXVK.
                  Last edited by rabcor; 20 August 2022, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

The source engine probably uses opengl or vulkan by default now, dxvk is designed to run directx on vulkan. Maybe the windows version of csgo has directx support but I somehow doubt it, it would just be duplication of effort since they already support opengl and vulkan to support dx too, it'd serve no real purpose except for comparisons like this really.

Maybe they still have legacy support for directx, and maybe it requires special launch options or something, I don't really know, i'm just guessing at reasons why you might have failed to run CSGO on DXVK.
                    I'm afraid that you're terribly mistaken here. CSGO is a DirectX game. There's only some experimental Vulkan support added at the end of 2021.

On Linux, they run it with ToGL (as fagnerln noted). This is DX to OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                    X