Raspberry Pi's V3DV Driver Nearly Across The Finish Line For Vulkan 1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's V3DV Driver Nearly Across The Finish Line For Vulkan 1.2

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's V3DV Driver Nearly Across The Finish Line For Vulkan 1.2

Mesa's V3DV driver for the Broadcom VideoCore GPU, which is most notably enabling open-source Vulkan API support for the Raspberry Pi 4 and newer, is nearly ready with its Vulkan 1.2 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Surely we must be at a point now where it is cheaper to use a SoC GPU that has Mesa support than to mess around with supplying proprietary 3d drivers?

I mean... it's a real pain to do out-of-tree stuff. Why would a manufacturer bother?
    Last edited by OneTimeShot; 16 June 2022, 07:52 AM.

Comment

So is the Pi4 the fully supported by upstream Linux and mesa?
      As in: will I also get accelerated video decoding in Kodi (using v4lv2) without custom patches or OMXPlayer stuff?

Comment

Video decoding has nothing to do with vulkan... I'm not sure what's the decoding status.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Video decoding has nothing to do with vulkan... I'm not sure what's the decoding status.
          I know, my knowledge of the Raspberry Pi software stack is very limited.
          But I always wanted to know if the video decoder still works for stuff like Kodi when switching to upstream linux kernel (without custom patches) and mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

I know, my knowledge of the Raspberry Pi software stack is very limited.
            But I always wanted to know if the video decoder still works for stuff like Kodi when switching to upstream linux kernel (without custom patches) and mesa.
            What you're looking for is vaapi support. And in the future Vulkan Video. I don't know if it supports VAAPI. You will have to Google that.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
              So is the Pi4 the fully supported by upstream Linux and mesa?
              As in: will I also get accelerated video decoding in Kodi (using v4lv2) without custom patches or OMXPlayer stuff?
              I don't think it is fully supported but it is mostly there I think I don't have one myself but have heard from friends it's pretty good state. but it's worth noting that the kinds of content you can watch are a bit limited due to hardware decoder being mediocre, and not being fast enough for reliable software decoding. (something like a jellyfin server can greatly help with this though)

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                Surely we must be at a point now where it is cheaper to use a SoC GPU that has Mesa support than to mess around with supplying proprietary 3d drivers?
                You'd think, but no. Not even close.

> I mean... it's a real pain to do out-of-tree stuff. Why would a manufacturer bother?

Because the *real* manufacturer (i.e. Broadcom, for the Pi4) *doesn't*. That's someone else's problem - in this case, the RPI Foundation, and the "free labor" of the FOSS community.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  I don't think it is fully supported but it is mostly there I think
                  erm - it's non-existent. There are literally only 1.5 pieces of software that have any HW decode support on the Pi at all, both of them carrying *massive* patchsets for it that take between days and months to reapply each time they rebase. Oh, and they only work on Raspbian's patched kernel, and only in the armv7 (i.e. 32-bit) build.

Outside of those two packages (VLC, and a crashtastic version of Chrome), everything your friends think they're seeing is software.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

erm - it's non-existent. There are literally only 1.5 pieces of software that have any HW decode support on the Pi at all, both of them carrying *massive* patchsets for it that take between days and months to reapply each time they rebase. Oh, and they only work on Raspbian's patched kernel, and only in the armv7 (i.e. 32-bit) build.

Outside of those two packages (VLC, and a crashtastic version of Chrome), everything your friends think they're seeing is software.
                    I can guarantee you, they're not watching HEVC video on software decoding using kodi.

Comment

Working...
                    X