Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple M1 Mesa Code Begins To Run glmark2

Phoronix: Apple M1 Mesa Code Begins To Start Running glmark2

While the Apple M1 Linux support is off to a great start and using Asahi Linux is offering good CPU performance and most functionality working to at least some degree, the biggest blocker remaining is getting the Apple M1 3D graphics working. The latest progress on that front is the Mesa code working to begin correctly render glmark2, a basic OpenGL / GLES benchmark...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I figure this is one of those situations where once this is achieved, the rest of the work is feasible. It's always a good feeling to breach that barrier between "I can't do this" and "this is possible".

Comment

If they manage to write a Vulkan driver for Linux, I wonder if that means that we can eventually get a Vulkan driver for macOS as well?

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        If they manage to write a Vulkan driver for Linux, I wonder if that means that we can eventually get a Vulkan driver for macOS as well?
        If there were some community-made Vulkan implementation for OSX, would it be normally user-installable? I'm unfamiliar with Mac-OSX at this level. Not sure if they just block system changes like that or maybe require the user to be admin / enable dev mode.

Comment

> biggest blocker remaining is getting the Apple M1 3D graphics working.

I'd want sound/wifi/vpu/sleep working first.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
            That would probably be quite difficult. The macos kernel driver is quite a bit thicker.

Comment

Save the bother and buy x86, Tim Cook doesn't need your money.

Comment

Looks like this team is doing some nice work that Apple does not deserve.

Comment

The best part of this project is how badly it must chaff Apples hide.

Comment

Great archivement!

Yet, I'm wondering: Is it easier to write an OpenGL driver or an Vulkan driver? Especially since Zink progressed that nicely?

Comment

Working...
                    X