Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Looking Quite Good & Shining With Mesa 22.1

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Looking Quite Good & Shining With Mesa 22.1

Recently I carried out some tests looking at the performance of Zink for OpenGL implemented atop the Vulkan API in a generic manner that works across drivers. With the state of Mesa 22.1, all of Zink's recent improvements are paying off and here is a quick look at where the performance stands against using the RadeonSI OpenGL driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there room for improvement for Zink?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Yes, there has been and there will continue to be room for improvement.

Comment

Cool to see Zink winning at high resolution, shows that the shader compilation is working well; and that the rest is close enough that it can lead to a net win in some cases. :+ )

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          Cool to see Zink winning at high resolution, shows that the shader compilation is working well; and that the rest is close enough that it can lead to a net win in some cases. :+ )
          Why is Zink losing at lower resolutions, and can anything be done about it?
          If so, what can be done about it, and can you do it?

Comment

Will be interesting if it can squeeze out more performance. Would be interesting if Zink would one day replace all the different OpenGL drivers.

For Mesa users anyway, but in a few years I hopefully can get back to using a card where I can use Mesa ... The nvidia stuff is good, but I am somehow bothered by the drivers not being open.

Comment

There's always room for improvement in any kind of software.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

There's always room for improvement in any kind of software.
                Well, if we're talking about performance improvements, it's not always much that can be done. Sometimes there is low hanging fruit and much can be done through adding some sort of cache, or analyzing some hot paths, but sometimes there is not much that can be done, maybe it is already heavily optimized.

Comment

Unfortunately there are still some open source games where Zink is 100x slower than radeonsi. Hopefully one day it will catch up.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Why is Zink losing at lower resolutions, and can anything be done about it?
                    If so, what can be done about it, and can you do it?
                    My guess is that at lower resolutions more frames are rendered and so the Zink overhead accumulates, whereas at higher resolutions the bottleneck is more on the GPU side.

Comment

Working...
                    X