No announcement yet.

Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Looking Quite Good & Shining With Mesa 22.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am running Oibaf PPAs to play with Zink, and I'm happy to report that Minecraft (with custom GLFW for native Wayland) is playing well on it these days. I'm getting about 82% of the speed of the Intel native driver on my Gen9 iGPU.

I might play around with Zink -> Wayland running on NVIDIA proprietary later, it wasn't feeling so hot on the libraries that shipped in 22.04.

Comment

Specviewperf would be nice to benchmark with zink vs opengl

Comment

This is great. We can quite soon get rid of X, XWayland, opengl, implicit sync, and all things preventing Wayland to become the leading desktop tech on PC and Mac.

Comment

a admitedly large part of me wants to see rusticl running on zink lmao

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Why is Zink losing at lower resolutions, and can anything be done about it?
            If so, what can be done about it, and can you do it?
            To some extent, the lowest resolutions have had more development time optimizing for them. 4K displays are relatively new, and games and the drivers have mostly optimized for the resolutions gamers actually use. And most people are still using 1080p displays. It will take some time before 4K optimization will be at the same level.

Zink is benefiting to some extent, though not only, from the fact 4K and Vulkan came about in the same time period, so Vulkan is more optimized for 4K than OpenGL with all of its history has been traditionally.

Now, can Zink be better optimized for 1080P? Yes, but it may never get to the same level as there is still some overhead of Vulkan to contend with.

Comment

Originally posted by STiAT View Post
              Will be interesting if it can squeeze out more performance. Would be interesting if Zink would one day replace all the different OpenGL drivers
              I would say at least for another decade we are going to still need some direct opengl drivers. There is hardware still being made that does not have the features to directly support being driven by a vulkan driver. But at least getting all the drivers on to NIR helps as this allow sharing processing between all yes that include Zink.

Also Zink going Opengl->zink->Vulkan->hardware there is going to be some performance issues that show up in that level of abstraction.

Really I hope that at fairly soon that zink is the opengl based line for a lot of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Well, if we're talking about performance improvements, it's not always much that can be done. Sometimes there is low hanging fruit and much can be done through adding some sort of cache, or analyzing some hot paths, but sometimes there is not much that can be done, maybe it is already heavily optimized.
                Improvements =! performance improvements. You can also improve software in other areas.

Comment

Wauw.. Zink looks really good now. Even beats OpenGL drivers in some tests. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    This is great. We can quite soon get rid of X, XWayland, opengl, implicit sync, and all things preventing Wayland to become the leading desktop tech on PC and Mac.
                    The only thing keeping Wayland from being "the leading desktop tech" on Linux is the Wayland team's inability to deliver, which has literally nothing to do with this topic. You might as well spam that noise on a knitting forum for all the relevance it has.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

My guess is that at lower resolutions more frames are rendered and so the Zink overhead accumulates, whereas at higher resolutions the bottleneck is more on the GPU side.
                      In CPU-limited scenarios, zink is also going to compete for CPU time...

Comment

Working...
                      X