No announcement yet.

Mesa On Windows Continues Improving: Dzn Dynamic Rendering, WGL Kopper Lands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa On Windows Continues Improving: Dzn Dynamic Rendering, WGL Kopper Lands

Phoronix: Mesa On Windows Continues Improving: Dzn Dynamic Rendering, WGL Kopper Lands

While to date no major hardware vendors are focusing on their open-source Mesa-based drivers for running on Windows (though there has been independent work like building RADV on Windows), other Mesa code is seeing interest and usage under Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still wonder what is the usecase of just being able to compile RADV on Windows

Comment

now we just need virgl and venus drivers : D

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        I still wonder what is the use-case of just being able to compile RADV on Windows
        There would still be a ton of work to make RADV work on Windows, but I think it could be used for comparisons, maybe developers wanting to develop for Steam OS? A pity AMD won't drop its own AMDVLK and focus fully on RADV, that would be too good to be true
        So in theory not much use directly, but it could help porting virgl and venus maybe? And that would be a massive help with virtualization.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
          There would still be a ton of work to make RADV work on Windows, but I think it could be used for comparisons, maybe developers wanting to develop for Steam OS? A pity AMD won't drop its own AMDVLK and focus fully on RADV, that would be too good to be true
          So in theory not much use directly, but it could help porting virgl and venus maybe? And that would be a massive help with virtualization.
          Does AMDVLK provide any advantage over RADV? I haven't used AMD in a long while, mostly because my GPU needs are rather modest so I just use the iGPU in Intel processors.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Does AMDVLK provide any advantage over RADV? I haven't used AMD in a long while, mostly because my GPU needs are rather modest so I just use the iGPU in Intel processors.
            There are a few games that run better, but over all RADV is faster. There even is an easy way to use it side-by-side with RADV: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/a...-vulkan-fedora
            The interesting part is that AMDVLK uses the same codebase as the Windows driver and often first implements new features. It would be interesting to see if community could make a better Windows driver than AMD itself? I would love if AMD could switch to it, but... yeah, not gonna happen

Comment

Working...
            X