Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dokipen
    replied
    I think using games as the only metric for opengl usage/popularity doesn't show the whole picture. The graphics programming community in general uses Opengl heavily for research and educational purposes. Also content creation apps like Maya, Houdini etc use OpenGL and can rely on Zink. Also MacOS could do with OpenGL 4.6 which I'm looking forward to.

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    Originally posted by direc85 View Post
    In a tangential experience, I had the hardest time getting Trackmania 2020 running on Wine (with AMD open source graphics), but installing DXVK (DirectX-on-Vulkan IIUC...) and using it instead, it works flawlessly (online play included)!

So yeah, Vulkan is fire ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    I see, a fellow enjoyer of The World's Most Competitive Racing Game

Leave a comment:

• direc85
    replied
    In a tangential experience, I had the hardest time getting Trackmania 2020 running on Wine (with AMD open source graphics), but installing DXVK (DirectX-on-Vulkan IIUC...) and using it instead, it works flawlessly (online play included)!

So yeah, Vulkan is fire ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
    The MR was just merged: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/16068

Also, from the man himself:

Mike Blumenkrantz ๐Ÿ‹ zmike ยท 8 hours ago Developer
    Yes, this will be in 22.1.

So it looks like we can expect this in the stable release of Mesa, despite already being in the RC phase
    now we just need venus support, and venus in qemu and windows drivers for it to get some nice gpu accel LOL

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    The MR was just merged: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/16068

Also, from the man himself:

Mike Blumenkrantz ๐Ÿ‹ zmike ยท 8 hours ago Developer
    Yes, this will be in 22.1.

So it looks like we can expect this in the stable release of Mesa, despite already being in the RC phase

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by loganj View Post
    nice to go for the easy way instead of going directly vulkan. no wonder there are so few games using vulkan.
    i guess that a few frames less and probably some artifacts on the screen will not be a problem.
    This is classic problem. https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Vulkan_games 159 for vulkan vs 193 for DX12 vs 1,341 for opengl vs 2,803 for DX11

Vulkan is doing quite well on uptake. DX12 does clearly show that uptake is not fast for either. Companies have legacy code bases that work they don't migrate in most cases.

Do note that opengl on windows is %50 of Dx11 and opengl has been around for many versions of DX. If opengl uptake was good on windows it should be at least thousand higher than DX11. Opengl was around in the Dx9 time frame that another 2,514 games.

There is a reason why Opengl has such low uptake. Opengl drivers have been different levels of horrible. Yes developer code their game tests on AMD/ATI GPU now game does not work with NVIDIA and then the reverse is also true has been going on as long as Opengl has been implemented by AMD/ATI and Nvidia. Of course developer goes and codes using DX9 and DX11their game works no matter the GPU as long as platform is Windows historically. Of course wine and dxvk are doing well today.

X-Plane developer did mention having to go to the gpu vendor to have them fix their driver to remove artefact problems. You see this with opengl games over and over again of update or downgrade your GPU drivers to fix X problem.

Zink advantage for X-Plane developer will be they will only have to complain about Vulkan issues not Vulkan and Opengl issues to GPU vendors. Vulkan is a lot more compact standard at this time.

Please note there are a lot of opengl artefacts that appear with Nvidia closed source drivers that open source GPU drivers don't have as well.

I don't know of something like https://mesamatrix.net/ for closed source opengl drivers. It would be interesting to see that match up as well as benchmarking as well.

Leave a comment:

• davibu
    replied
    Thanks m8

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    Originally posted by davibu View Post
    It would be very interesting to see how Zink stacks up to the OpenGL proprietary counterpart.
    Especially for AMD which proprietary OpenGL driver is less than optimal.

Edit: I mean on Windows, but is definitely also interesting on Linux

Leave a comment:

• davibu
    replied
    It would be very interesting to see how Zink stacks up to the OpenGL proprietary counterpart.
    Especially for AMD which proprietary OpenGL driver is less than optimal.

Edit: I mean on Windows, but is definitely also interesting on Linux

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    Quackdoc i ment in general. not just this game. the rest of the games. but i have to admit that there are not so many games using opengl on windows. but the idea is that instead of using vulkan for the new games, people will consider using opengl/dx because of these layers (dxvk/zink). vulkan is present in almost every device.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X