Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi V3D Driver Enables Anisotropic Filtering

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi V3D Driver Enables Anisotropic Filtering

Back in 2017 the Mesa open-source OpenGL driver for Broadcom VC5 hardware most notably used by the Raspberry Pi 4 aimed to enable anisotropic filtering (AF). However, that patch wasn't fully hooked up correctly and now this past week should be in good shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A welcome addition to the driver. I am hoping we see a 4+ version soon with improved performance, even if it's just a 25% boost in clocks. (and I'm not including the Pi 400 here, because that was just the Pi foundation finding a slightly better sweet spot, headroom is still the same) If we can OC to 2.5ghz on the CPU and 1ghz on the GPU, a lot more would become possible.

Comment

...Just buy a Rockchip SBC. They use Mali GPUs if they even have one and mainline support is quite good. My RockPi S runs perfectly fine with stock musl based Gentoo and fresh, unmolested kernel.org kernel with no special vendor patches other than their uboot (well, armbian's, dunno exactly) for example and everything I tried works.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
        ...Just buy a Rockchip SBC. They use Mali GPUs if they even have one and mainline support is quite good. My RockPi S runs perfectly fine with stock musl based Gentoo and fresh, unmolested kernel.org kernel with no special vendor patches other than their uboot (well, armbian's, dunno exactly) for example and everything I tried works.
        That actually sounds pretty nice. I didn't realize they were getting good mainline support now. Many years ago I had a Rockchip device that was stuck on an ancient kernel with some old unmaintained distro as the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
          A welcome addition to the driver. I am hoping we see a 4+ version soon with improved performance, even if it's just a 25% boost in clocks. (and I'm not including the Pi 400 here, because that was just the Pi foundation finding a slightly better sweet spot, headroom is still the same) If we can OC to 2.5ghz on the CPU and 1ghz on the GPU, a lot more would become possible.
          There is a "4B+" already, kind of. Newer boards ship with the new chip revision also found in Raspberry Pi 400, and it allows for 20% more CPU clock. (Without "overclocking")

Raspberry Pi 4 is almost three years old now. A 4B+ with slight improvements wouldn't really cut it at this point, we need a more solid upgrade with a newer SoC.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

There is a "4B+" already, kind of. Newer boards ship with the new chip revision also found in Raspberry Pi 400, and it allows for 20% more CPU clock. (Without "overclocking")

Raspberry Pi 4 is almost three years old now. A 4B+ with slight improvements wouldn't really cut it at this point, we need a more solid upgrade with a newer SoC.
            What we actually need is a Raspberry PI with a NVMe port for a boot disk, and some faster NVMe to connect an external Disk-array. Would then make a d*mn nice NAS.
            Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
              That actually sounds pretty nice. I didn't realize they were getting good mainline support now. Many years ago I had a Rockchip device that was stuck on an ancient kernel with some old unmaintained distro as the only option.
              Likewise. It's really a shame how ARMv8 was supposed to fix these stupid custom kernel issues and how long it is taking for that to actually come to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
                RK3588 or nothing.

Comment

Working...
                X