Imagination Tech Publishes Open-Source PowerVR Vulkan Driver For Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination Tech Publishes Open-Source PowerVR Vulkan Driver For Mesa

Phoronix: Imagination Tech Publishes Open-Source PowerVR Vulkan Driver For Mesa

After many years of waiting and past faltered efforts, "Imagination Tech publishing a new open-source driver" probably wasn't on your bingo card for 2022... But they are doing such with a new open-source PowerVR Vulkan driver for Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some info about where these GPUs are being used would be welcome. Are these used in ARM SOCs on mobile?

Comment

Huh, maybe I can stop avoiding PowerVR like the plague now?

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
        Some info about where these GPUs are being used would be welcome. Are these used in ARM SOCs on mobile?
        Yes, though they're less common than they used to be. Mediatek uses them in some, but not all, of their phone and Chromebook parts; so do smaller Mainland Chinese vendors, so does Renesas, etc. They move a fair bit of volume still.

I wasn't expecting this, but it's very welcome.

Comment

WTH, hell is freezing over? ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZjMZcpFyZ8

Comment

*looks at calendar* Uhhh, I know we jump ahead an hour soon, but a whole month?

Comment

PS: quite some typos in the article though, ...

Comment

Is any of this useful for backporting to older PowerVR models? I'd very much like to see some bulks of State issued netbooks (think OLPC style) brought back to life. Those are old Atom boards with PowerVR iGPUs.

Comment

Behold the power of Mesa! It's now a sufficient motivator. When the value of open source tools starts being obvious, vendors realize they save money by using it instead of reinventing the wheel.

Comment

Well that is some good news. I wonder if there's any way to use some of this code on the new M1 macs, given that they also use GPU tech from Imagination Tech.

Functional vulkan would be quite awesome to have on those machines.

Comment

Working...
                    X