No announcement yet.

Initial Arm Mali "Valhall" Patches Sent Out For Panfrost Linux Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Arm Mali "Valhall" Patches Sent Out For Panfrost Linux Kernel Driver

Phoronix: Initial Arm Mali "Valhall" Patches Sent Out For Panfrost Linux Kernel Driver

While still a work-in-progress and dependent upon other Arm SoC patches for actual functionality, on Friday the initial Arm Mali "Valhall" patches were sent out for the Panfrost Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This person is quite talented and precocious

Comment

Originally posted by Maxzor View Post
      This person is quite talented and precocious
      Yes, she is. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxzor View Post
        quite talented and precocious
        I think you mean prolific.

Maybe also precocious, but I think we can't infer that only from the news coverage on Phoronix.

Now, what I want to know is where/when I can buy a MT8192-powered mini-PC or SBC. With 4x A76 cores + 4x A55 cores, it would certainly be a nice upgrade from a Pi v4. Also, a fair bit more expensive, but there's no reason it should cost more than other entry-level mini-PCs.
        Last edited by coder; 13 February 2022, 03:56 AM.

Comment

great work as always

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Now, what I want to know is where/when I can buy a MT192-powered mini-PC or SBC. With 4x A76 cores + 4x A55 cores, it would certainly be a nice upgrade from a Pi v4. Also, a fair bit more expensive, but there's no reason it should cost more than other entry-level mini-PCs.
            I don't know about the MT8192,
            But rk3588 is about to debut in Rock5 sbc
            but the price is a lot above what we could expect at first..

Pine64 also spoke about a rk3588 laptop( but not in the works right now.. )
            the semiconductor industry is a mess right now..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              I don't know about the MT8192,
              But rk3588 is about to debut in Rock5 sbc
              but the price is a lot above what we could expect at first..

Pine64 also spoke about a rk3588 laptop( but not in the works right now.. )
              the semiconductor industry is a mess right now..
              The Valhall GPU in the RK3588 has many differences from the older one in the MT8192, so it might take a while before they are ironed out and there is any support for them in Panfrost. Because of the switch to having firmware running on the GPU, the layout of many of the draw descriptors have been changed, and even the firmware itself will take time to support (or replace with free firmware, luckily I have seen no indication of firmware signing).

Comment

Working...
              X