No announcement yet.

It's 2022: Linux Open-Source GPU Drivers Seeing 3dfx Glide API Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

What if i want to play a Glide game on my GL 2.1 gpu with Crocus?
      Damn! You found my weak spot

Comment

If it manages to mature, I can see this being a good open source alternative to dgVoodoo (on Linux and Mesa drivers at least).

Is running it on Windows (or the proprietary NVIDIA driver) technically possible? I assume the latter is very unlikely, but what about the former?
        Last edited by Calinou; 04 February 2022, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          If it manages to mature, I can see this being a good open source alternative to dgVoodoo (on Linux and Mesa drivers at least).

Is running it on Windows (or the proprietary NVIDIA driver) technically possible? I assume the latter is very unlikely, but what about the former?
          yes, we have zink and d3d12 drivers. assuming it compiles for windows it should be usable

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
            Other than native glide games this won't do any good. For Wine side I suggest everyone to try nGlide. Use vulkan backend and all is done perfectly. I am playing most of my 3dfx supported titles with nGlide and vulkan.
            I'm kinda surprised there's no GDVK (for example, as DXVK) for WINE, it's old and I assume much simpler in comparison to any DX, so the fact that there's no such thing is surprising. I guess nGlide is partly to "blame" for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              The usual open source achievements nobody asked for.
              I asked for this. I am very excited. I'm gonna use this. This might amaze you, but it's true!

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

I'm kinda surprised there's no GDVK (for example, as DXVK) for WINE, it's old and I assume much simpler in comparison to any DX, so the fact that there's no such thing is surprising. I guess nGlide is partly to "blame" for it.
                well, with this, we can kind of get this, if we can compile zink + grover with windows binaries, it will effectively be the same, except unlike dxvk, it would be a "conformant" implementation

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  The usual open source achievements nobody asked for.
                  The difference with your comment is that your comment is not an achievement

Comment

Isn't it a bit late for a generic driver? I mean the glide driver alone is not enough, you may want lots of per game hacks and tweaks to solve various scaling and quality issues. The existed closed source solutions are full of non standard goodies and cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverBird775 View Post
                      Isn't it a bit late for a generic driver? I mean the glide driver alone is not enough, you may want lots of per game hacks and tweaks to solve various scaling and quality issues. The existed closed source solutions are full of non standard goodies and cookies.
                      You can always add them later on. In any case, having non-native as a fallback for those corner cases is still a better situation than having it as the only option available.

Comment

Working...
                      X