Mesa's "Dozen" Close To Providing Vulkan Over Direct3D 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marios View Post
    The only reason I see for mesa to ever accept these patches, is to lick Microsoft's boots...
    Nice, licking boots. Maybe you can start a movement, and go smash windows (Windows) in Redmond.

Comment

Maybe they finally can prevent vendor OpenGL, OpenCL and Vulkan implementations to be used in Windows and force everybody to write DirectX drivers only. More or less Metal does it in MacOS. So yes, we can finally have an EEE here in the middle term future.

Comment

Just Why ?
        there is no environment that I know that provides DX12 but not Vulkan…

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          Just Why ?
          I can only really think of Microsoft's dying Hololens platform.

Comment

Just Why ?
            I think Windows on ARM only supports DX? Or at least at one point that was true.

And of course xbox, although I kind of doubt anyone would use a wrapper like this for anything running there.

Comment

Why the fuck are Mesa developers accepting this garbage?
              Can't Microsoft keep their shit together in their house without polluting an open source project?

Comment

What a alpha move by Microsoft! In the future, there may be no reason to not run a Windows OS, since it will become the de-facto Linux distro as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                  What's the end goal here?

As in: Is there a nefarious purpose (EEE) or is it more like simple practicality in terms of wanting to be able to emulate/virtualise WSL2 on top of existing DX12 Windows closed-source driver infra when using Vulkan-native apps inside WSL2?

If it's not clear from the context, I'm leaning towards the latter FWIW.
                  In my opinion, anything for Microsoft to migrate towards a more locked down ecosystem. the goal of this is mostly WSL2, and being able to get vendors to effectively exclusively support windows.

as for WSL2 Microsoft could have implemented vulkan passthrough, instead of, or in addition to, d3d12. but that would be them directly supporting something that is helpful outside of their locked down ecosystem (IE. Zink) (to be clear, the the microsoft devs do help zink some. but not to the same degree).

and of course this will let microsoft tell vendors they only need to develop DX drivers. there will definitely be some vendors that go this path.

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Can't Microsoft keep their shit together in their house without polluting an open source project?
                  from mesa's perspective why wouldn't they? it's an open source driver. nothing is wrong with it from a technological point of view, and mesa isn't one to play politics, they have made that abundantly clear. I think NOT implementing it would be a loss, I would like FOSS to infect everything it possibly can. Microsoft may have IMO less than ethical uses for this. but it's something that would happen anyway, regardless if it is in mesa or not. at least this way, the mesa dev's have some say over how it happens. and other people could possibly benefit from the code.

(anyone who uses zink, have already benefited directly from this, as microsoft devs and Mr. Blumenkrantz have helped each other, and I believe they have also worked on the OGL state tracker some too)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I suspect you have a very different definition of garbage than the Mesa developers do. They've always been very supportive of running Mesa on Windows (and BSDs, etc.). It's not at all a linux-only project.

In fact, the whole gallium architecture was provided by VMWare to help run their proprietary products. That seems to have turned out ok.

Comment

Just Why ?
                      Maybe the XBox? Though that seems like the wrong target for this...

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      In fact, the whole gallium architecture was provided by VMWare to help run their proprietary products. That seems to have turned out ok.
                      Wasn't Gallium3D created by Tungsten before they were bought by VMWare?

Comment

Working...
                      X