VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Lands OpenGL 4.3 Support In Mesa 22.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Lands OpenGL 4.3 Support In Mesa 22.0

Phoronix: VMware's SVGA Gallium3D Driver Lands OpenGL 4.3 Support In Mesa 22.0

VMware has been preparing support for OpenGL 4.3 to be exposed within their VMware virtualization software so that guest VMs can enjoy newer OpenGL support that is accelerated by the host...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Going forward, would exposing some sort of virtualized Vulkan interface from the hypervisor to the guest and letting Zink handle OpenGL be possible?

Comment

Amazing and good job for VMWare!
      Especially considering that fact that Virtualbox moves with all brakes on after the shitty Oracle took it.
      I wonder if with this it will be possible to play some lightweight games in VMware in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Amazing and good job for VMWare!
        Especially considering that fact that Virtualbox moves with all brakes on after the shitty Oracle took it.
        I wonder if with this it will be possible to play some lightweight games in VMware in the future.
        Already is possible to play some games with vmware. things like input lag are a larger issue last I checked, but I remember playing a modded counter strike on it to a degree of success.

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
        Going forward, would exposing some sort of virtualized Vulkan interface from the hypervisor to the guest and letting Zink handle OpenGL be possible?
        Possible? yes. using vmware svga? im not sure. VMSVGA is a gallium driver. so it's likely they would need a whole new interface, or to adopt virglrender's venus, or a similar approach at the very least.

Comment

Working...
        X