No announcement yet.

Mesa 22.0 Pushed Back By Three Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL, it would be very funny to see how Ubuntu developers will explain using in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Mesa 22, but not Linux kernel 5.16 or 5.17
    Anyway, good for Mesa developers for delaying the release for better stuff to be integrated compared to other projects that use the stupid date release and come out with subpar things.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      I say this without controversy ... who cares about Ubuntu!
      I do. I use it daily on machines ranging from my own laptop, to the Raspberry Pis floating around the house, to big 20-core Xeons at work.

Having an LTS release that includes major library and infrastructure improvement changes the whole ecosystem. If LTS 22.04 has the latest Mesa, SDL2, XWayland, OpenSSL, GTK4, and some other stuff, then the people maintaining thousands of in-tree and third-party packages that run on Ubuntu can free themselves from supporting legacy libraries and technologies sooner. Whatever version of Mesa lands in Ubuntu 22.04 is going to be running on a lot of stuff five years from now.

Comment

The only people who will care about not having the latest Mesa on a distribution release are the ones who are too ignorant and incapable of building their own updated version of Mesa from source.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I do. I use it daily on machines ranging from my own laptop, to the Raspberry Pis floating around the house, to big 20-core Xeons at work.

Having an LTS release that includes major library and infrastructure improvement changes the whole ecosystem. If LTS 22.04 has the latest Mesa, SDL2, XWayland, OpenSSL, GTK4, and some other stuff, then the people maintaining thousands of in-tree and third-party packages that run on Ubuntu can free themselves from supporting legacy libraries and technologies sooner. Whatever version of Mesa lands in Ubuntu 22.04 is going to be running on a lot of stuff five years from now.
          Everyone wants it but will only get it when it's available, regardless of distribution.

Comment

Working...
          X