Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 22.0 Pushed Back By Three Weeks

Phoronix: Mesa 22.0 Pushed Back By Three Weeks

While a lot of open-source OpenGL and Vulkan driver improvements have been landing in recent days in anticipation of the Mesa 22.0 code branching and feature freeze for Wednesday, that deadline has now been extended by three weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Big fan of this. No reason to rush a release, and it shows that they care about the quality of the software. I'm all for it.

Comment

anyone who wants to can always compile git anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        anyone who wants to can always compile git anyways.
        More genius remarks: And if you're out of ice you can always get some from Antarctica.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

More genius remarks: And if you're out of ice you can always get some from Antarctica.
          There are several third-party repos for the major distros that provide regular git snapshot versions of mesa.

Comment

I say this without controversy ... who cares about Ubuntu!
            I mean ... it's not the only distribution and I don't think Canonical pays Mesa developers.
            Software release cycles are rarely connected to distribution releases, and Ubuntu is no exception.
            Maybe the Ubuntu geniuses make a mixture of Mesa versions, they are good at making jumble.
            Last edited by Charlie68; 13 January 2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

phoronix

You often test graphics cards but it would be good for ordinary people to write an article on Radeon / amd with Manjaro, Archlinux, Ubuntu,…others ?

Indeed, we often hear about Mesa, x86-video, amdgpu, amdgpu-pro, drm, catalyst, Adrenaline, proprietary pilots, Vulkan, OpenGl, OpenCl, VDapau, x11, Wayland,… Personally, I am lost and that makes 17 years that I am on Linux and it is always so mysterious and moreover each wiki of the distributions mentioned speaks about different things for the same subject.

And since we are there, it would be good to do the same on the side of Nvidia. And pin theses articles to the forum or somewhere.

In advance, thank you for all these people of which I am a part (for Amd).

Comment

Nooooooooooo....

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                  I say this without controversy ... who cares about Ubuntu!
                  I mean ... it's not the only distribution and I don't think Canonical pays Mesa developers.
                  Software release cycles are rarely connected to distribution releases, and Ubuntu is no exception.
                  Maybe the Ubuntu geniuses make a mixture of Mesa versions, they are good at making jumble.
                  I care. And I don't even use Ubuntu or any Ubuntu based distro.

Ubuntu LTS is a great distro, and every LTS releases are noticed by everyone. Don't matter if you use any other distro, you will know.

Would be nice if Ubuntu 22.04 releases with Mesa 22, but if isn't possible, too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post

I care. And I don't even use Ubuntu or any Ubuntu based distro.

Ubuntu LTS is a great distro, and every LTS releases are noticed by everyone. Don't matter if you use any other distro, you will know.

Would be nice if Ubuntu 22.04 releases with Mesa 22, but if isn't possible, too bad.
                    I didn't say the opposite ... simply people like me who have been using Linux for years, know that projects are hardly synchronized with distribution releases and Mesa is no exception.
                    That an Ubuntu user then hopes that Mesa 22 can get on the next Ubuntu Lts is legitimate, but as a non-Ubuntu user I don't care at all, as I think it doesn't matter to anyone who doesn't use Ubuntu.
                    I prefer to avoid Mesa speeding up to please Ubuntu, but release it when it's ready.

Comment

Working...
                    X