Microsoft Lands D3D12 Compute Support In Mesa 22.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Strawman talking about ignorance. Look at the commits and tell me which system is the biggest mesa user? If you didn't get obvious allusion Open Source software shouldn't support its competition. And while mesa is cross platform the only beneficiary from this is m$. This is exactly opposite to being cross platform.
    Biggest user != the only one user. And other OSS software does support the competition OSes, too (in fact, it's easier to have up-to-date version on other OSes).

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's mainly for Linux to begin with and most of the mesa code serves Linux. Their intentions are clearly bad, so mesa is becoming m$ sink.
      If their intentions were bad, then why would they be writing code in a way that helps Linux drivers then?

Intel's ray-tracing implementation will rely on a lot of the OpenCL support code written by Microsoft, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

If their intentions were bad, then why would they be writing code in a way that helps Linux drivers then?

Intel's ray-tracing implementation will rely on a lot of the OpenCL support code written by Microsoft, for example.

Off-topic, but has intel a GPU that is good for anything already?

Comment

Mesa has always been cross platform. windows has used mesa for a while now, the software rendering is pretty decent.

however, WSL2 is currently the sole beneficiary of this, which would really mean linux is the main beneficiary here. However, I really don't like code that can only be used for proprietary means being in mesa. while this can eventually be used on windows, so can zink, so why even bother? to me it's clear that WSL2/Hyper-V is the main intent for this code.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            to me it's clear that WSL2/Hyper-V is the main intent for this code.
            So what? Lots of people use WSL2 and would like to see this be added. Do they not matter? Would you block llvmpipe from running on windows too? How about the driver that runs on the new apple m1 gpu? It's linux based, but the hardware requires sending money to apple, do we hate them so much we block that driver too? And tons of the ARM drivers have companies not exactly linux friendly. Block all those drivers too?

Or we could just let people add whatever reasonably supported open source code they want to the open source graphics libraries.

If I wanted to live in a walled garden, I'd be using OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

So what? Lots of people use WSL2 and would like to see this be added. Do they not matter? Would you block llvmpipe from running on windows too? How about the driver that runs on the new apple m1 gpu? It's linux based, but the hardware requires sending money to apple, do we hate them so much we block that driver too? And tons of the ARM drivers have companies not exactly linux friendly. Block all those drivers too?

Or we could just let people add whatever reasonably supported open source code they want to the open source graphics libraries.

If I wanted to live in a walled garden, I'd be using OSX.
              It's the same thing with wanting nvidia's BS in the kernel. I don't like it when you have something that is only useful for proprietary applications. I would have no issue's whatsoever with it if the d3d12.so was open sourced. that will never happen.

The worst part is if Microsoft wanted to, they could have used an open source alternative, or even added vulkan support to gpu-pv/wsl2, but they didn't, so do I care about WSL2 Users? Hell no I don't Just like I don't want nvidias "Definitely Open Source" bullshit in the kernel either.

if nvidia made a backend that only worked on their shit, I would be just as disgusted

Comment

There is also problem with MariaDB under WSL2. Microsoft also enables Linux development in their Visual Studio, but currently is not much advanced and there are a lot of problems, but also Linux community is sometimes pain in the ass...
                Last edited by elbar; 12 January 2022, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
                  There is also problem with MariaDB under WSL2. Microsoft also enables Linux development in their Visual Studio, but currently is not much advanced and there are a lot of problems, but also Linux community is sometimes pain in the ass...
                  you know they enable linux development in visual studio because if you use visual studio then they can data collection on you.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

you know they enable linux development in visual studio because if you use visual studio then they can data collection on you.
                    VScode is one of the best code editors, I never really found the appeal of a full IDE all that great, except for when I was just starting out coding. and since vscode has codium, a blob free fork, its good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                      then they can data collection on you.
                      Google does not?

Microsoft had HUGE problems with Bing Search and wanted seriously Yahoo People and tried to negotiate with Yahoo, but had to do it without them and now is much better, but it is not Google Search yet and outside US is much less used than Google...

VScode is nice IDE, but Microsoft does wrong a lot of things and does not understand something and move from VScode to Visual Studio needs also Linux community...

Comment

Working...
                      X