Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental VA-API Implemented Over NVIDIA's NVDEC - Allows Firefox Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryuanlu
    replied
    VDPAU has no encoding features since it's Video Decoding and Presentation API for UNIX.

Leave a comment:

• LinAGKar
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

that's already being worked on, but vulkan extensions only supports h264 and h265 right now, vp9 and av1 isn't out yet as far as I am aware.
    And it will never support all the formats supported by the hardware (MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2, VC-1 and VP8). Not that those matter all that much, and MPEG-4 Part 2 won't work unless they fix it in libva, but still.

Leave a comment:

• LinAGKar
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I never understood why Nvidia felt like removing VDPAU. They could have just kept it as it was, perhaps in deprecated/legacy mode or something
    They didn't remove it. They did keep it in legacy mode, and thus it's missing some stuff that's only exposed through nvdec.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Something that occurred to me. Why bother with VAAPI over NVDEC/NVENC? It's a waste of effort. Why not make it over Vulkan video extensions? Then it would work in the future for all GPUs until everyone will switch to Vulkan proper.
    that's already being worked on, but vulkan extensions only supports h264 and h265 right now, vp9 and av1 isn't out yet as far as I am aware.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Something that occurred to me. Why bother with VAAPI over NVDEC/NVENC? It's a waste of effort. Why not make it over Vulkan video extensions? Then it would work in the future for all GPUs until everyone will switch to Vulkan proper.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    Thats not totally right, VA-API always had a broader scope than VDPAU.
    What "broader scope" are you talking about? VDPAU was able to accelerate online and local media on Linux. DXVA did the same on Windows. VA-API had no reason to exist except that Intel's pathetic graphics weren't designed to handle VDPAU. Marketing beat engineering again.

Leave a comment:

• Hibbelharry
    replied
    Deadbeef, since support for VDPAU is generally fading away.

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Maybe, but I think the real issue was that Intel never adopted VDPAU, even on the Linux/opensource side. The VDPAU mesa driver worked very well on my RadeonHD 4550. It was so much better than the fglrx/Catalyst driver. Even Adobe/Flash tried the VDPAU route (VAVDA?), but it didn't gain much traction when Intel said no joy.
    Intel had no reason to push VA-API other than selfishness and NIH BS.
    Thats not totally right, VA-API always had a broader scope than VDPAU. VA-API is generally platform and window system independent, while VDPAU never was.

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
    As far as I know API wise VAAPI doesn't provide anything above VPDAU. They are both simple APIs that only pass information to relevant low level code where real things are happening. Introducing VAAPI basicly gave us fragmentation.
    Yes and no, see above.

Leave a comment:

• piotrj3
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

Maybe, but I think the real issue was that Intel never adopted VDPAU, even on the Linux/opensource side. The VDPAU mesa driver worked very well on my RadeonHD 4550. It was so much better than the fglrx/Catalyst driver. Even Adobe/Flash tried the VDPAU route (VAVDA?), but it didn't gain much traction when Intel said no joy.
    As far as I know API wise VAAPI doesn't provide anything above VPDAU. They are both simple APIs that only pass information to relevant low level code where real things are happening. Introducing VAAPI basicly gave us fragmentation.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I have my suspicions it's because AMD started using it on Linux, and it was a way for them to screw with AMD.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
    I just want to watch 4k YouTube videos smoothly.
    Same, but I have an rx580, thankfully I also have a r5 2600

Leave a comment:

Working...
X