Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental VA-API Implemented Over NVIDIA's NVDEC - Allows Firefox Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental VA-API Implemented Over NVIDIA's NVDEC - Allows Firefox Video Acceleration

Phoronix: Experimental VA-API Implemented Over NVIDIA's NVDEC - Allows Firefox Video Acceleration

For software like Mozilla Firefox that relies on the cross-vendor Video Acceleration API (VA-API) for hardware GPU-based video decoding and doesn't support NVIDIA's proprietary NVDEC interface for video decoding, there is an in-development VA-API implementation that works atop NVIDIA NVDEC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So much work just to work around nvidias shitty proprietary driver and its shitty custom interfaces.
    If I had a shot for every driver bug workaround in desktops/compositors/display-servers and programs just to get it working on this shitty non compliant driver, I would have fully destroyed my liver and probably be dead from alcohol poisoning not even half way through.

Too bad.

Comment

Hopefully this will make more people use VA-API instead of NVENC, but not holding my breath.

All proprietary consumer codecs must die.

Comment

I never understood why Nvidia felt like removing VDPAU. They could have just kept it as it was, perhaps in deprecated/legacy mode or something

Comment

Someone cleaning up Nvidia's mess while Nvidia sip their lock-in koolaid on the side. How typical.

Comment

Nvidia has encoding/decoding working well, but its proprietary..there are applications that take advantage of them..
            AMD on the other hand needs to put more focus on the desktop media usage..

With now Cedrus, and Hantro drivers added to Linux,
            I would think its possible to use vaapi to get acceleration on those arm SoCs, or they don't have at all acceleration?

I really hope that someday, we will have a unified way of doing things, working for all..
            Last edited by tuxd3v; 04 January 2022, 12:19 PM. Reason: take. not.. cake. even tought that cake is better :)

Comment

This is so good news. Although I believe the new Vulkan Video API should be the standard to rule them all and efforts should be put into supporting and improving it (actually, NVIDIA's propietary driver is the best one supporting Vulkan Video API), this VA-API over NVDEC is a very nice to ensure a good experience for all users while the transition happens.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
                Hopefully this will make more people use VA-API instead of NVENC, but not holding my breath.

All proprietary consumer codecs must die.
                We're talking interfaces here, not codecs, codecs are accessed via defined interfaces and a totally different beast,

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I never understood why Nvidia felt like removing VDPAU. They could have just kept it as it was, perhaps in deprecated/legacy mode or something
                VDPAU is a very X11 centric API and X11 is well.... deadbeef.

VA-API is more universal across both X11 and wayland, but they just never got into that and did - once again - their own thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

VDPAU is a very X11 centric API and X11 is well.... deadbeef.
                  It's not like "caring for wayland" is an excuse nvidia could bring up for anything

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    So much work just to work around nvidias shitty proprietary driver and its shitty custom interfaces.
                    If I had a shot for every driver bug workaround in desktops/compositors/display-servers and programs just to get it working on this shitty non compliant driver, I would have fully destroyed my liver and probably be dead from alcohol poisoning not even half way through.

Too bad.
                    Yeah, too bad when it already works:

Experimental VP9 codec support for vdpau-va-driver (NVIDIA VDPAU-VAAPI wrapper) and chromium-vaapi - xtknight/vdpau-va-driver-vp9

Comment

Working...
                    X