Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Open-Source GPU Drivers Enjoyed Near-Record Growth In 2021, Valve Dev Top Contributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Open-Source GPU Drivers Enjoyed Near-Record Growth In 2021, Valve Dev Top Contributor

Phoronix: Mesa Open-Source GPU Drivers Enjoyed Near-Record Growth In 2021, Valve Dev Top Contributor

As we approach the end of the year, here is a look back at some of the Mesa open-source 3D OpenGL/Vulkan driver development statistics for 2021 compared to prior years as well as a look at the top contributors to this crucial piece of the Linux desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is something wrong here, or is it my system? The images are so blurry I cannot tell what they are even about.

*Edit* Problem resolved. It was an extension I use that enforces a dark mode to every site. I hate light sites, but at least the images are clear now.
    Last edited by OmniNegro; 26 December 2021, 10:31 AM. Reason: Problem resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
      Is something wrong here, or is it my system? The images are so blurry I cannot tell what they are even about.
      I see them fine on Firefox 95

Comment

A lot of contributions and a lot of progress made.

Comment

Big respect to all of you!

Comment

It's a joy to see Alyssa and Mike entering the scene so recently and being such prolific contributors, with such high-quality work.

Signs of a really healthy project, not just at the moment but in the long run!

Comment

Unlike Micheal, I wish for a decreased amount of loc next year but with an increased amount of commits.

I wish that Zink becomes so good at perf and conformance that native gallium can be removed, so that their dev can also work on Zink and make it the ultimate gl implementation.
              Last edited by rmfx; 26 December 2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                I wish that Zink becomes so good at perf and conformance that native gallium can be removed, so that their dev can also work on Zink and make it the ultimate gl implementation.
                "extra overhead" can't become so good, so that "no extra overhead" can be removed. zink is for supporting hardware with shitty drivers like novideo, not for pointlessly removing "native gallium"

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post

*Edit* Problem resolved. It was an extension I use that enforces a dark mode to every site. I hate light sites, but at least the images are clear now.
                  Yeah, I had the same issue.... I always use dark mode on my browser, but usually the graphs/charts on Phoronix are fine with dark mode ...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    "extra overhead" can't become so good, so that "no extra overhead" can be removed. zink is for supporting hardware with shitty drivers like novideo, not for pointlessly removing "native gallium"
                    I will trade a few percent overhead for simplicity, conformance, and minimum system redondancy with pleasure.
                    Wrappers on top of Vulkan do not suffer as much as some claim. DXVK already proved it.
                    If a driver like Zink, still in its infancy can get 75-100 percent of the perf of the best native drivers, established for years and years, that means it's on the way to being a potential new primary driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X