Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    i915g that gen2 and gen3.
    gen2 seems to be NOT supported by i915g.
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The oldest i8xx hardware would still be using the classic Mesa driver"

Also see:

all indicate that i915g support only gen3 (as you told me with the help of llvm), but NOT gen2.

Comment

• Originally posted by kenren View Post
      gen2 seems to be NOT supported by i915g.
      "The oldest i8xx hardware would still be using the classic Mesa driver"

all indicate that i915g support only gen3 (as you told me with the help of llvm), but NOT gen2.
      Do note the not all gen3 does support opengl 2.0 shaders in hardware. To be correct its 1.3 opengl hardware anything past that it solftware filling in the gaps with intel gen3.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...ff994b45fcbeef Looks like they are going the route of cutting the gen2 into its own driver. So there is going to be a i830 driver again.

https://feedback.wildfiregames.com/r...e/Intel%20845G The gen2 hardware is pre opengl 1.3-4 hardware
      https://feedback.wildfiregames.com/r...e/Intel%20915G The gen3 hardware is post opengl 1.4 hardware The early gen3 hardware is not opengl 2.0 hardware.

Do note that the 865G the last of the gen2 is in fact opengl 1.4 hardware but its buggy opengl 1.4 hardware.

In shader hardware supported functionality there is no difference between gen2 and early gen3 intel hardware. The no difference is more insane those who examine silicon from the start of gen2 to I think the second in gen3 the base silicon design of the opengl vertex shader does not change at all. The opengl 2.0 shaders is not the reason why i915g driver does not support gen2 because those have to be software emulated and there is no change in this area between gen2 and gen3. The shader in hardware changes latter in gen3.

Yes gen2 expands in features over its releases this is why the last gen2 is basically the prototype to the first gen3 and the last gen3 is basically the prototype to the next gen4.

You could say the intel gen lines are very much attempts to put lines a progressively changing shades of grey. Like if the Intel 865G design had been perfect out the box we would most likely draw the gen3 line at Intel 865G not the Intel 915G.

When i915g was first proposed it was going to cover gen2.

So we both had something wrong kenren. The reason why i915g does not support gen2 has nothing todo with opengl shaders because there is no difference at the change from gen2 to gen3. It is more having to code around gen2 intel hardware quirks/defects that the latter gen3 don't have. I was presuming due to how small the difference really is between gen2 and gen3 hardware that the original proposal of i915g would have been follow though and so far it has not been.

The horrible part here is there use to be a i830 driver before it was merged into i915 driver that becomes i915c because it was classed as waste of resources maintaining it. Now 2 decades later they are basically reversing the process splitting i830 driver out of i915c instead of expanding i915g to what the original plan of i915g said was the goal.. And of course split gen2 and gen3 at driver level still does not make much sense due to how close in design they really are.

Comment

• I was using i915 Gen 3 driver on 945GM chipset at Debian Testing Bookworm.
        This driver suddenly was removed by a Debian upgrade. Only software rendering was available.

Although there is a lot of talking here about alternatives like gallium i915g or the classic amber driver,
        these drivers still are not available and cannot be tested.

A lot of work has been done at gallium i915, but the final touch still is not done and a release still is not announced.
        The software for this i915-driver is available at Debian, but must be compiled manually.

Performance is not the problem.
        Big problem is bad support for larger shaders.
        The classic i915 accepts every large shader and uses (slow) software rendering if hardware is too poor.
        Gallium i915 refuses complicated shaders or replaces large shaders with a standard shader????

Comment

Working...
        X