Airlie Exploring Possibility Of VA-API On Top Of Vulkan Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post
    I'm often irritated because people tend to assume that everything becomes better, faster and more efficient just because Vulkan is involed. Spoiler: this is, in general, not true. Vulkan has strengths in specific use-cases. In many use cases, Vulkan does not have any or no significant advantages as far as performance and efficiency are considered. Video decode acceleration is one of these use cases. A unified API ecosystem still is advantageous for interoperability, though.
    I'm often irritated when people make rash generalizations. Nobody said Vulkan was going to be faster in this. But it's likely better than just CPU transcoding in some cases. It also increases compatibility across a wider range of devices.

Comment

Yes, please. I have hopes on Vulkan Video.

Comment

I'm often pleased reading these articles because projects like Zink show that it is reasonable to build other higher-level graphics APIs on top of Vulkan, while also properly showing that being a compliant and performant implementation is far from a forgone conclusion. When reading about the initial bring-up of Vulkan Video, I wondered if VA-API could be implemented on top of it, but also had no idea if the models were compatible. Seeing this being tackled so soon is a pleasant surprise.

An interesting consequence of this could be working hardware accelerated video decoding for Firefox on Wayland using the NVIDIA proprietary driver.

Comment

This is highly exciting. There are plenty of potential benefits for this.

Comment

That's cool!

Firefox is painfully going through enabling VAAPI. I wonder how many years will it take to replace that with Vulkan next time

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
              I'm often irritated because people tend to assume that everything becomes better, faster and more efficient just because Vulkan is involed. Spoiler: this is, in general, not true. Vulkan has strengths in specific use-cases. In many use cases, Vulkan does not have any or no significant advantages as far as performance and efficiency are considered. Video decode acceleration is one of these use cases. A unified API ecosystem still is advantageous for interoperability, though.
              This is blatantly (if not universally) false, given recent results with zink+vulkan running significantly faster than native opengl.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

This is blatantly (if not universally) false, given recent results with zink+vulkan running significantly faster than native opengl.
                In cherry picked results. Which was kind of the main point of the original comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                  I think you've probably been click-baited. If there's any evidence that Zink runs overall faster than native OpenGL, we haven't seen it. It's only a handful of select benchmarks which have so far shown better performance on Zink.

And what about output fidelity? Until Zink is consistently producing the same output as native OpenGL, it's also a bit unfair to compare its performance.

There might be good reasons why Zink could offer better performance, but you'd generally expect that stacking an OpenGL layer atop a Vulkan layer would deliver worse performance.

Comment

can you please say, this will allow you to transfer video decoding from the processor to the video card if the video card does not have codec support?

Comment

Plasma 6 Wayland session + VA-API on Vulkan sound good.

Comment

Working...
                      X